Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a specialized allez (actually an allez elite frame with basic allez components). I frequently get a creaking noise, which occurs mostly under load, partial as well as full out-of-saddle. I had the wheels rebalanced, (alex DA-16 with 28/32 spokes) as there were some loose spokes and I thought these could be the cause of the creaking, but the noise has since returned. I'm quite heavy, but have seen others of my size riding these bikes and they haven't suffered the same problems. The bike hasn't had huge use, I've probably put less than 500 miles on it as I haven't taken it out much over the winter.

Are there any other things I should look at? Bottom bracket etc? I'm a little concerned that this creaking signals something more serious, so I'd like to sort it out now.

All advice gratefully received

Matt

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Bottom bracket...crank arms...wheel skewers...stem bolts, etc. These and more can "creak" when not tight and under load. First I'd check is crank arms and pedals for tightness.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Creaks, and such.

You gotta start witht the basics first. Check your cleats' screws , then remove your pedals and clean grooves, re-lube, and re-tighten to crank arm. Inspect chainring bolts. Then it will get more specific. A lot of folks have their handlebars come loose in the stem. There are also seat rail to seat post issues. Search this topic here and you will find a wealth if info to help. It only takes a very small ammount of metal to metal change for noise to happen on a bike. You can find that noise !! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts