Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a metallic creaking/pinging sound in my bar/stem when out of the saddle. It sounds like someone is tapping on the bar with their wedding rign or something. It seems to coincide with times when I am pulling on the bars. Is this normal or is it a sign that the bars or stem needs to be changed? Never crashed on this setup. It has about 7000 miles on it. They are Ritchey WCS 4-axis and Ritchey WCS bar.

·
Registered
429 Posts
When this happens on my bikes, it means there's water in the headset. Do you have a threaded headset on your bike?

Either way, take the headset apart and regrease it, then reassmble. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, take it to your LBS

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you're fairly sure it's the bar or stem, I'd unwrap the tape, then do a close inspection of the bar-stem junction and the areas under and next to the shifter clamps. If everything checks out fine, you might want to do a bar reinstall with all the screws greased in the thread area and under their heads.

On the other hand, check this out: a few days ago, I was haunted by a nasty creak every time I got out of the saddle. I was convinced it was coming from the bars or the stem. Turned out the creak came from the ratchting rear helmet strap tightening mechanism. Apparently, I do something with my head when out of the saddle that I don't do when I'm seated. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Check the front Quick Release....

Mine was creaking every time I got out of the saddle. Checked and rechecked the stem/bar interface, stem/headset interface and shifters/bar interface. After driving myself crazy tightening, lubing and retightening all of the above it turned out all I needed to do was lightly lube and crankdown on the front quick release....presto....creaking sound gone!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a threadless King headset which I think is ok. I'm 99.99% sure that the noise is coming from the bar as the pitch is the same as when I tap the bar with something metal. I think I will dissasemble them and check for damage at the stem interface. It seems that this is the place where the noise is centered. Who knows though, because it can be difficult to pinpoint.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
I had the same thing going on for a couple of days last week and it turned out to be my headset. Just make sure and check to be sure that it is the headset and that the sounds aren't coming from lower down on the bike. I changed out my headset, but in retrospect I probably only needed to clean and lube the bearings and threads. But hey, I learned something and it didn't cost my a dime.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ride in the rain a lot, so it could be the headset. I'll regrease it and try that.

I just changed the fork and the noise is the same as before, so at least it's not the fork.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
El Guapo said:
Mine was creaking every time I got out of the saddle. Checked and rechecked the stem/bar interface, stem/headset interface and shifters/bar interface. After driving myself crazy tightening, lubing and retightening all of the above it turned out all I needed to do was lightly lube and crankdown on the front quick release....presto....creaking sound gone!
+1....I drove myself crazy once...took apart and rebuilt the entire front end...I swore it was the bar/stem interface or headset........It was the QR...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave Hickey said:
+1....I drove myself crazy once...took apart and rebuilt the entire front end...I swore it was the bar/stem interface or headset........It was the QR...
Good idea. I will try that first. That would be an easy fix.

·
Getting fit.
68 Posts
Check your spoke tension. If you have a cross in the spoke pattern, low spoke tension might be causing a pinging sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tracking noises on carbon bikes is difficult as the carbon seems to transmit noises from parts you normally wouldn't think of. I had a similar noise that I swore was the Handlebars / stem. I eventually tracked it down to the Hubs. I have 2005 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and the initial problem was a slight amount of play in the wheel bearings that only became apparent when out of the saddle. A quick adjustment and the noise dissapeared. It gradually came back. More adjustment didn't eliminate the problem. My last resort was to strip the axles out of the hubs (front and back), I left the bearings in as they seemed OK. I put a thing smear of grease over the axle in the area where It contacted the inner surface of the cartridge bearing. No more problems. Have done about 3000km since this fix and still no noise.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Ahhh..the fun. Here is a list of things to do (I did this about 6 weeks ago trying to track down a clicking while pedaling out of the saddle):

1. Check BB cups - remove, clean, re-grease, and re-install. I know it sounds like the sound is coming from the front, but so did mine. It was the BB.
2. Check cassette and make sure it has not come loose.
3. Put a drop or two of oil in barrel adjusters
4. Possibly try a different rear wheel if availabe to completely rule out rear wheel.
5. Check rear derailleur hanger...put a think film of grease between metal hanger and frame
6. Put thin layer of grease between stem and spacer, between all spacers, and between spacer and headset.
7. bottle cage bolts. Take out, clean, re-grease, and put back in.
8. Make sure headset bolt is clean and greased
9. Make sure stem bolts are clean and greased
10. Put some grease on drop out faces and QR's. Make sure QR's are tight, but not too tight.
11. Check chainring bolts
12. If you have crossing spokes, but a little drop of oil at where they cross and slightly 'flex' spokes to allow oil to get between spokes.
13. Make sure cassette body is not dry (grease it before installing) and put a thin layer of grease between each cassette spacer
14. Clean the chain.
15. Take off pedals, clean, re-grease and properly install with correct torque.

Mine turned out to be bottom bracket, but now I know everything is clean and greased and properly torqued. As a minimum, you will feel much more comfortable working on bike after you do above steps.

·
Registered
599 Posts
make sure to inspect the steerer tube for indications of crushing/splitting/cracking if you have a full carbon fork . carbon steerers can be damaged even using the manufacturer's appropriate torque recommendations if certain types of compression plugs are out of position .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts