Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
faster is better.....
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at the start of a club ride, I had to do an "emergency" bunny hop to keep from getting my tires caught in a seam in the road. Since I had basically zero time to prepare, the bunny hop got me over it but was pretty awkwardly executed and I ended up landing front wheel first pretty hard - followed by a hard landing on the rear wheel. About 5-7 miles later I noticed a clicking every time my non-drive side crank arm/pedal hit the 7 o'clock position. Figured BB might be loosening a bit & kept going with intention of adjusting after the ride. Clicking got worse, so finally stopped to check it out. Zero play in cranks @ BB. Pedals in the crank arms tight. Loosened & re-tightened F/R skewers and the noise went away. "Problem solved" I say to myself, as I noticed the front skewer was not as tight as I normally set it - had removed wheel several days earlier & put back on in a hasty manner.
Then at the next acceleration, when I shifted to the 53 and stood up, I noticed a creaking/popping/cracking sound - in rythm with pedal strokes - I have never heard before. Very scary.... Stopped pedaling, pushed down on bars hard several times, same noise though not quite as loud. Stopped, checked headset & everythings nice & tight. Noticed I could hear same sound while turning handlebars and exterting slight downforce on handlebars. Started riding, stood up while pedaling and same sound again. So I stayed seated for the remainder of the ride. The fork is a Specialized Carbon 2, with aluminum steerer & dropouts, probably a good 8-10 years old. Don't know what kind of hits its taken over the years, but I know of only one big one in the last year (since I've had it), last night. Going to loosen/clean stem, steerer, handlebar and re-torque stem bolts also will re-adjust headset and remove wheels, clean dropouts/hub axles and re-install. If this doesn't do it, what are the chances that I may have damaged the steerer/fork bond in that poorly executed bunny hop? Looking for your thoughts.....

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
grease the interface between bars and stem, and stem and steerer also stem bolts, if it is a threaded stem, pull it and grease the stem shaft and shim and bolt

edit: btw the reason it was not as loud when you pushed on the bars, is because when you are standing and giving 'er hell, you are PULLING on the bars harder than you are pushing! I am pretty sure it is the stem/steerer

edit2: The reason I am so sure is that I had a VERY similar issue which only surfaced after a wet ride. I had failed to grease my threaded stem before i inserted it. DOH.......I took the whole bike apart before i realized that!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
grease the interface between bars and stem, and stem and steerer also stem bolts, if it is a threaded stem, pull it and grease the stem shaft and shim and bolt

edit: btw the reason it was not as loud when you pushed on the bars, is because when you are standing and giving 'er hell, you are PULLING on the bars harder than you are pushing! I am pretty sure it is the stem/steerer

edit2: The reason I am so sure is that I had a VERY similar issue which only surfaced after a wet ride. I had failed to grease my threaded stem before i inserted it. DOH.......I took the whole bike apart before i realized that!
Yep, that's exactly what I did when I had this problem. It worked great! +1 for the suggestion :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.