Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

For a few weeks my RM01 (2011) has been creaking and ticking. I've tried various things like tightening crank bolts, re-securing the QR levers, changing out the saddle, and cleaning off the friction paste from the lower section of the seatpost and refitting it. The creak always comes back.

The creaky Streampost issue doesn't seem to be a common problem with other BMC seatposts but I've come to the conclusion that the seatpost's the source of the creak. I can feel the ticks and creaks through the saddle and it gets worse under force (eg into the wind, up hills). Sometimes it happens when out of the saddle but usually it's when seated, or shifting in the saddle (especially when 'on the rivet').

So... as with the Streamposts, do I need to get some mobile phone screen cover plastic, or will some sticky tape do as a shim? What are the top tips?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I use clear packing tape down the back side of the post and I find it works better than most of the other solutions I've tried.
Yes. There are many threads and posts on this. I use Kapton tape on the back of mine. The post and the inside of the seat tube should be completely clean and free of any lube or friction paste.

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I'll remove the post and clean off the remaining inch or so that's still got friction paste on it (where the post and collar meet). I tried putting tape on before and couldn't find any thin enough to fit without bunching up but if completely removing the paste doesn't end the creak then that's step #2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible Fix

Thanks for the replies!

I'll remove the post and clean off the remaining inch or so that's still got friction paste on it (where the post and collar meet). I tried putting tape on before and couldn't find any thin enough to fit without bunching up but if completely removing the paste doesn't end the creak then that's step #2.
I purchased a 2013 BMC Race Machine RM01 two months ago and almost immediately started hearing a squeaking noise, which I narrowed down to the seat or seat post. I discovered this forum and followed the suggestion of placing PDA film on the back portion of the post. This worked but only for about two hundred miles or so and then the noise would return. After re-doing about three times, I approached the bike shop where I purchased the bike from about the noise. The mechanic used carbon past on the seat collar and the post, which also worked, but only for a couple rides. I advised the mechanic the noise returned and he contacted BMC and was waiting for a reply. Yesterday I noticed a small crack in the front of the seat post, about half-way down. I called the mechanic and he asked for some photographs of the crack. He forwarded the photos to the BMC rep who explained the noise was a known problem caused by the collar, which they have redesigned. BMC is sending me a new collar and seat post. I’ll let you know if this helps with the noise.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I purchased a 2013 BMC Race Machine RM01 two months ago and almost immediately started hearing a squeaking noise, which I narrowed down to the seat or seat post. ...the BMC rep who explained the noise was a known problem caused by the collar, which they have redesigned....
Many historic posts on this topic are related to the BMC Streampost, which uses an elastic expansion plug on the end of the seat post rather than a traditional collar to retain the post in the seat tube. The use of plastic film on the back of the post and the inappropriateness of grease or friction paste is specific to the Streampost. I believe your 2013 bike uses a traditional seat post clamp and not the Streampost, correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.