Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock prologo kappa evo saddle that came on my cannondale. The comfort isn't too bad,but man this thing is about to drive me crazy with it's constant creaking. I've tighten'd everything and sprayed lube into the frame rail connections and nothing has stopped this. Have any of you guys ever had this problem or know a cure for this before i go nutz?:mad2: Worse case is , I just buy a new saddle, the kappa evo isn't the most comfy saddle anyways but not hateful. Kinda had some other things on my list of want's first. But a new Fizik Aliante might just be the best cure. Any help is appreciated.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,798 Posts
This may sound weird, but try the following:

Remove the saddle and place it in your freezer overnight. Then, take it out and let it thaw before mounting it back on. The temperature induced retraction/expansion may cure the problem.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I had a short span of being bothered by saddle creak. I then pondered whether it was my seat post. I tightened up quick-release for seat post and creaking went away.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I was absolutely certain that my seat was squeaking & no matter what I did I couldn't stop it. One day I was riding alone on a stretch of glass smooth pavement. That's extremely rare around here. The squeak was gone. Then I turned my head to the right & heard the squeak. I turned my head to the left & heard it again. It turned out to be the Styrofoam in my helmet.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've dealt with all manner of seat squeaks. Seatpost, seat rails, etc... All of them can be fixed with the use of either friction paste (carbon seatpost/rails) or a light lube/grease (just about anything else).

There is one creak that could only be fixed with a replacement (warranty in my case). My seat of choice is the Selle Italia SMP Gel Flow. This seat has a blue silicone at each end of each seat rail where it meets the seat frame. One day the seat started creaking terribly at one of these rail junctions. The silicone had come loose there and was squeaking where it rubbed the rail. Lube only helped for a few minutes, then it came back.

I finally took the seat back to the LBS I bought it from and asked them to warranty it (it was only a few months old). They replaced it with one off the shelf and got a warranty from the Selle Italia rep next time he was in town.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the problem first started I pulled the seat post cleaned and lubed it with no success. When i stand beside the bike with a hand on either end of the saddle and push back and forth and side to side you can tell the creaks are coming from the saddle rails. Maybe it's just OCD on my part,but man it sure get's annoying mile after mile. Guess it could be worse at first i thought it was the bb30 bottom bracket i've heard others have had problems with creaking.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
This may sound weird, but try the following:

Remove the saddle and place it in your freezer overnight. Then, take it out and let it thaw before mounting it back on. The temperature induced retraction/expansion may cure the problem.
I was house-sitting for a friend with a parrot. This worked for the squacking parrot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you tried spraying lube into the area that connects the rails to the seat? Does the problem go away when you install another seat? I haven't had much luck with lube but used a thicker Shimano bearing grease on seatpost rails to solve my squeaky seat rail problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tried spraying lube into the area that connects the rails to the seat? Does the problem go away when you install another seat? I haven't had much luck with lube but used a thicker Shimano bearing grease on seatpost rails to solve my squeaky seat rail problem.
I had a minor squeaking in a saddle and tried to fix with lube where the rails go into rhetoric elastomer. DON'T DO IT! It turned it into an unfixable squeak bucket. I had to throw it away.

I have a prologo that was clicking. The seatpost was not holding the rails firmly allowing them to slip a little which caused the saddle to click. Fixing that silenced the saddle.

·
Registered
451 Posts
To know exactly what is creaking you have to try one thing at a time.

Things to try.

another saddle
grease sadlle rails
grease/carbon paste seatpost

And lastly make sure to torque to spec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts