Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a Selle Italia SLR XP saddle with vanox rails for several months now and it seems to have developed this very annoying creaking sound when I ride and especially when I go over bumps. Has anyone experienced this???

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Isn't there any danger

of the rails slipping out of the saddle shell, if you grease the place where both come in contact?
my max flite does the same creaking sound but since it's not too loud i live with it. It's going to be a problem if the creaking gets louder.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Same thing happened to me recently. Put triflow in all the rail connectors on the saddle and it still creaked. Most likely, its the contact points of the saddle with the seatpost, mine was. Try working a little light grease into those areas and hit it with a hair dyer to get it down into the joints. That worked for me. If that doesn't work, remove the saddle and apply a light coat of grease to the seat clamps on the post and reassemble.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Not to worry

brblue said:
of the rails slipping out of the saddle shell, if you grease the place where both come in contact?
Given the force required to install the rails into the saddle, adding some lube does not significantly increase the chances of them coming out. Per cdhbrad, the most common problems occur at the interface between the rails and post, so a thin layer of grease there usually solves the problem. This assumes, of course, that the noise isn't actually coming from the front wheel QR skewer.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
A little advice on using lube on the saddle rails,

don't get any lube on your SLR saddle cover. I once put lube on my rails trying to find a creak living on my bike and for some reason got some on the leather and it started seperating from the carbon shell.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for advice. I took the saddle off and worked out that the creaking sound is coming from the front of the saddle where the left rail connects into the shell. Is there anything i can do??

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Italianrider76 said:
Thanks for advice. I took the saddle off and worked out that the creaking sound is coming from the front of the saddle where the left rail connects into the shell. Is there anything i can do??
silicon or gorilla glue (home depot) . i put the glue on my cycling shoes, leather and soles and a avocet 40r saddle, cover to plastic base no problem

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Oil

Italianrider76 said:
I took the saddle off and worked out that the creaking sound is coming from the front of the saddle where the left rail connects into the shell. Is there anything i can do??
A few drops of oil on the rail right where it goes into the saddle body. Stand the saddle up so that the oil drains down into the socket for a few hours. The oil will lubricate the interface and should kill the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts