Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
often after coming to a stop & then starting up again, i get a creak or popping sound from the drivetrain, like the chain is binding or the cassette is stuck on the freewheel body, or something like that. it's usually only 1 or 2 creaks, then goes away once i'm in motion. otherwise, everything is tuned, lubed & works perfect. nothing binds anywhere that i can find--i have checked every chain link, freewheel spline, the internal pawls in the hub, bottom bracket, pedals, crank bolts (mounting & chainring), in short, everything is fine & torqued to spec.

i'm running ultegra sl by the way. it's also brand new. any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Click off

M77PT said:
often after coming to a stop & then starting up again, i get a creak or popping sound from the drivetrain, like the chain is binding or the cassette is stuck on the freewheel body, or something like that. it's usually only 1 or 2 creaks, then goes away once i'm in motion. otherwise, everything is tuned, lubed & works perfect. nothing binds anywhere that i can find--i have checked every chain link, freewheel spline, the internal pawls in the hub, bottom bracket, pedals, crank bolts (mounting & chainring), in short, everything is fine & torqued to spec.

i'm running ultegra sl by the way. it's also brand new. any suggestions?
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers, grease steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for all the suggestions!

i did most of 'em but i'm sure there's a couple i missed.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turns out the hub pawls were toast. tips of 'em were disintegrating and were basically slipping and/or getting stuck when trying to engage. i'd imagine each "ping" was one or more of the pawls getting stuck and causing a fraction of the metal to come off. nice...

tried everything imaginable (as you suggested) to find the noise, but to no avail. finally decided to crack open a lot of beer & took apart the hub. voila....

thanks again for the suggestions.

here's what they looked like:

Kerry Irons said:
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers, grease steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts