Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride an OCR C3, recently noticed a creaking sound coming from the BB area. I only get the creak when I am really going hard or climbing. Any thoughts as to what the problem may be, and could it be a serious problem?

FYI Bought the bike this past winter, new, I've put 600-700 miles on it.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
take it back to the shop you bought it at and have them check it out.

you shouldn't be having problems with only 600-700 miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BB Crankiness

Italianrider76 said:
This problem is very typical of Giant road bikes. My TCR was also doing it but after a minor adjustment from my LBS it's fine.
Italianrider76

Have a TCR2 with the same/similar problem others have in this thread. Just exactly what "minor adjustment" was made by your LBS?
My bike's in the shop again (2nd time) after a BB lube. After 5 miles today same problem and am looking at a possible BB replacement from LBS. Also have had left crank arm come lose on a TruVativ GXP but attributed it to poor wrench skills on bike 'out of the box'. Anything more specific on what cranks are susceptible?

Much obliged.
Doc

·
Registered
743 Posts
Doc said:
Italianrider76

Have a TCR2 with the same/similar problem others have in this thread. Just exactly what "minor adjustment" was made by your LBS?
My bike's in the shop again (2nd time) after a BB lube. After 5 miles today same problem and am looking at a possible BB replacement from LBS. Also have had left crank arm come lose on a TruVativ GXP but attributed it to poor wrench skills on bike 'out of the box'. Anything more specific on what cranks are susceptible?

Much obliged.
Doc

Hey Doc,

Sorry about being so vague.......basically the guy told me that he disassembled the bottom bracket and then generously lubed it. As soon as i got the bike back it was fine, the creaking was or should I say ticking sound was gone. It briefly came back but now it seems to have disappeared for good.

It seems the same has been done to your TCR but without any results. Mine are Ultegra cranks. I don't know..mayby the use of some shimming tape might work.

All the best.

·
Seanahee
40 Posts
Same Here

I've got a similar creaking in my 3-month-old OCR3. I tightened crank arms, seat, and pedals per suggestions in this thread. No dice. It's going in to LBS for free check-up, so I'll have them take a look.

·
ridesondirt
11 Posts
OK, me too

My OCRc3 with 350 miles on it has developed the same problem. From what everyone has said it sounds easy enough to fix.

update 3 weeks later;
I tried to remove my crankarms so I could get the BB out, clean and grease everything. I couldn't get the bolts to come out of the cranks. Neither could the LBS. Took it to another LBS. They can't get them out either. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
114 Posts
this thread jinxed me...

I started getting this BB creek after I read this thread... My LBS could not find the cause and tightened everything... I did my standard degrease & clean on my bike and it did one last creek when I first got back on an was gone after that... So, it must have been a piece of grit somewhere in the drivechain... My bike was not really dirty (~250 miles), but guess it is a good idea to clean everything real well before anything else...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind that an OCR and TCR are probabaly going to have different BB set-ups. A lot of newer TCR's come with External Bottom Brackets and the OCR's I've seen have had square-taper bottom brackets. The creak can usually be taken care of by removing the BB cups, cleaning, lubing the threads, and reinstalling them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind that an OCR and TCR are probabaly going to have different BB set-ups. A lot of newer TCR's come with External Bottom Brackets and the OCR's I've seen have had square-taper bottom brackets. The creak can usually be taken care of by removing the BB cups, cleaning, lubing the threads, and reinstalling them.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
LCF recrider- degreasing?

LCFrecrider said:
I started getting this BB creek after I read this thread... My LBS could not find the cause and tightened everything... I did my standard degrease & clean on my bike and it did one last creek when I first got back on an was gone after that... So, it must have been a piece of grit somewhere in the drivechain... My bike was not really dirty (~250 miles), but guess it is a good idea to clean everything real well before anything else...
did you degrease just the chain?

·
Registered
17 Posts
just in case you have done everything to the bottom bracket and still have the noise sometimes what sounds like the bottom bracket might actually be the front wheel especially if you are using Mavic Ksyriums. Make sure the front wheel is really tight and then try it. I experienced this and felt pretty stuping when somebody told me that it was probably the front wheel. Especially after taking the bb apart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.