Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All.

I am not new at this, but this was a new thing that happened.

I was re-alighning and re-tightening my clamp on front derailleur on my Guerciotti carbon frame. I usually don't go any more than 4NM and generally 2 to 3NM.

Anyway, no problem when I put it on the first time, but when I was UNTIGHTENING/LOOSENING the bolt to align it I heard some creaking.

I have checked around the clamp, there is no cracking of the clearcoat or anything, and I re-tightened it to about 2 to 3NM. I have done the coin test around it and there is no change to the sound of the frame.

Is it possible that it was just the clamp itself?

Thanks.

P.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Grease

Hey All.

I am not new at this, but this was a new thing that happened.

I was re-alighning and re-tightening my clamp on front derailleur on my Guerciotti carbon frame. I usually don't go any more than 4NM and generally 2 to 3NM.

Anyway, no problem when I put it on the first time, but when I was UNTIGHTENING/LOOSENING the bolt to align it I heard some creaking.

I have checked around the clamp, there is no cracking of the clearcoat or anything, and I re-tightened it to about 2 to 3NM. I have done the coin test around it and there is no change to the sound of the frame.

Is it possible that it was just the clamp itself?
As noted, grease the threads. You probably could/should also grease the contact surfaces between the derailleur and the frame. In the rare instance where the derailleur moves because the grease results in too-low friction, you could use "assembly paste" which is basically grease with some grit in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.