Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Neuvation RL4's. These have been great wheels for several years now. Recently, I've developed a 'creak' in the rear wheel.

I narrowed it down to one section of the rear wheel when it is touching the pavement. With my weight on the bike, when this section is in contact with the pavement, I hear the squeak...at every rotation of the wheel. (Drives me nuts) The wheel is true, clean, with new(er) tires. I tried an experiment: touching each nipple and at the "J" joint with a drop of lube. The squeak went away. It came back after I got caught in a heavy downpour.

I have an old set of open pro's that had the same problem with same solution. I wasn't too worried becuase if by chance I popped a spoke on a 32 spoke OP wheel - then no big deal, I could get home. I am worried a bit about the Neuvations with only 24 spokes.

Experience?? Suggestions??? Do I just relube, ride and forget about it or is it symptomatic of a bigger problem??

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Try a small spot of grease on the offending J-bend. I've experienced this on more than one wheel. I would pull the cassette and inspect all the spoke J-bends carefully for nicks/burrs, and recheck spoke tension (esp. for very loose spoke). Also check the rim for any cracks around the nipple area. If those all check out OK & the creak disappears with a touch of grease on J-bend I would not worry about it. Doubt you would have a higher risk of breaking a spoke than on any other low spoke count wheel.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thinking too. I checked the spoke tension..all OK. No loose spokes. No cracks in the rim - I've had that problem 30 miles from home, not fun.

Grease would probably be a better choice than lube, since grease won't come off so easily in the rain.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.