Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will make this as simple as possible.
I have a creaky bottom bracket, and I have done everything that I know of to rid this problem. I have regreased every possible thing, from the skewers to the chainring bolts, the pedals, everything. Still, the creak persists. IT HAS TO GO.
I will bore you no longer, and I need to solve this problem ASAP.
From here on out, Strictly facts, that's all.

First, Bike facts:
58 (virtual) Scott Addict R3
SRAM Force crankset with GXP external BB. The crank is a compact, and is 175.

Secondly, Rider facts:
I am six foot four, and weigh 165.
This problem only happens out of the saddle, hard on the pedals and climbing.

Your tips and suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Thank you,

Rob.

· Registered
84 Posts
Same Prob. Turned out the SRAM RED cassette came loose. Cursed look grip cleats, SRAM ,Cyclops and the inventors of carbon fiber. Sure sounded like BB. 40 nm later creak gone...

· Super Moderator
41,456 Posts
Also, headset, stem and h-bar bolts, especially if it happens out of the saddle on hard climbs. After that, I'd consider demonic possession, since you and the OPs have mentioned every other likely cause.

Or, maybe spokes rubbing? Could you post an audio clip of the creak?:)

Creaks are maddening, given the way bike sounds seem to travel. I once worked on my ride for most of a day, trying to eliminate a pinging sound I kept getting, which turned out to be, yes, change in my saddlebag.:mad2:

· Registered
1,710 Posts
bottom bracket

So, did you ever address the actual bottom bracket? I don't see that in your list of "done's". I mean remove it and grease the threads, then torque it back to specs (probably around 35 ftlbs). Also I would try switching out the pedals if that's an option. If you don't have differen pedals, borrow a friends just long enough to see if that's the problem. You might start with the pedals as that's easier than removing the BB.
martin

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes

I have re-installed the BB probably three different times, including last night where I used teflon-tape on the threads, Phil Wood waterproof grease all over the place, and the reinstalled the Drive Side cup first. And of course, torque'd to spec.
I also regreased the cassette... I'll find out today if all this worked.

· Registered
188 Posts
AKrob said:
I have re-installed the BB probably three different times, including last night where I used teflon-tape on the threads, Phil Wood waterproof grease all over the place, and the reinstalled the Drive Side cup first. And of course, torque'd to spec.
I also regreased the cassette... I'll find out today if all this worked.

Are both sides of the BB shell faced? The external cups need a perfectly flat surface to mate against, otherwise there is room for movement. Movement = creaks.

Also - while you have the cups out, run a tap through the threads. to make sure they are good and clean.

THEN re-assemble.

· Registered
3 Posts
if greasing the stem and handlebar bolts dont do it like xxl said i would try lubing the pedal springs and if you have rubber dust seals on either side of your hub put a drop of teflon lube between the dust seal and the hub where they contact eachother.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,069 Posts
cdhbrad said:
Put fressh grease on all contact surfaces on the rear dropouts. I had a similar creak that sounded like it was around my feet when hard pedaling / standing. A good coating of grease on the dropouts cured it.
This solved a creaky bike for me today! Thank you!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put this one to bed... finally

The problem was all in the front end. Really. The creak was coming from the bottom headset bearing and fork crown race. It was dry as concrete.
So, I lubed it all up, and rode it today, and it was perfect.
The sound just "Traveled" on the bike and made it sound like it was coming from the Bottom Bracket area.
Crazy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.