Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to fix my Mavic Ksyrium SL Front Hub. The wheel only has about 600 miles on it. It is making a creaking/popping noise while out of the saddle and sawing on the bars a bit. I can make it happen by leaning the bike over back and forth seated as well. If I wheelie the bike, the noise completely goes away.

The history is this. The hub was fine in terms of noise. I started getting some wierd harmonic vibration steering phenomena while sprinting at 36.5+ mph. Cross wind was sometimes involved. I checked all the various bearings out and found everything good except the front hub which could swim from one brake pad to the other just in bearing cone slop (if Mavics have cones, I'm not sure). I used the mavic preload tool to tighten up what act like cones on the hub. My sprinting and harmonic vibration problem went away. The wheel spun great. That was good. However, then my noise started. That was bad. The obvious observation would be that I tightened them too much. I agree, so I backed off a bit. The noise does not go away. In fact, now I can make the wheel totally sloppy loose, but it still makes noise under load standing sawing up hill. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Robo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tighten those skewers

if you are using Mavic composite skewers, they don't like being too loose. i had the same problem with a creaking/popping noise coming from the front wheel.

if that doesn't work, put tri-flo on the spoke nipples.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.