Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new playlist, however this one is to be confined to the classical music genre. I'm a big fan of Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Holst, and Rachmaninoff. I do not like Sarah Brightman, and I am not a huge fan of the three tenors. I prefer pieces without lyrics, but enjoy the occasional lyrical piece as long as it is not written in English.

So help me out, pretty please?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Only because you said please....

Sibelius Violin concerto. Get the Heifetz version.

Pretty much anything Beethoven, but I especially like the 4th piano concerto. Oh yeah, and the late string quartets.

Arvo Part (don't forget the umlaut!) has some good stuff, if you're into the modern thing.

I like the Goldberg Variations alot. I don't know why, but it feels like it exercises my brain in some weird way.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have all of the ones you listed. I don't listen to classical radio stations because I find the narratives and history of each song to be sooo boring. It seems like the explainations drag on forever. I'm just kind of stuck in a rut, not sure what else to add.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
paint said:
I have all of the ones you listed. I don't listen to classical radio stations because I find the narratives and history of each song to be sooo boring. It seems like the explainations drag on forever. I'm just kind of stuck in a rut, not sure what else to add.
That is why it was only for a day tell me about the boring part, it was what my mom listened to all the time when I was growing up, well that and NPR

what about brahms? handel (more than just the messiah) or try some obscure composers

there is always Sid Vicious:D

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lousylegs said:
there is always Sid Vicious:D
:p

Actually right now I'm downloading the Pride & Prejudice soundtrack. After leaving the movie on in the background for a couple of days, I figured out it was the music more than the film that I liked.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
paint said:
:p

Actually right now I'm downloading the Pride & Prejudice soundtrack. After leaving the movie on in the background for a couple of days, I figured out it was the music more than the film that I liked.
uugh, no, not another victim of P&P, ugh

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
My Dad's a huge fan of Ralph Vaughan Williams. He's a little muscular at times, but pretty interesting, and you don't hear him too much. You might try something from him. Be warned--some of his work is pipe organ music, which is definitely an acquired taste, IMO.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Schéhérazade

WAGNER (what a nut case) Der Ring des Nibelungen

MUSSORGSKY Pictures at an Exhibition

DVOŘÁK New World

HANDEL Water Music

VIVALDI anything (really)

that will get you started.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
My Dad's a huge fan of Ralph Vaughan Williams. He's a little muscular at times, but pretty interesting, and you don't hear him too much. You might try something from him. Be warned--some of his work is pipe organ music, which is definitely an acquired taste, IMO.
does your dad like the show Pipe Dreams that used to be one public radio? anothe cringe inducing show, no offense.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
MB1 said:
WAGNER (what a nut case) Der Ring des Nibelungen
I think it could be very dangerous to introduce Paint to the Ride of the Valkyries, you don't know how many spork wounds she might inflict if she got inspired by the music.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Elmer Fudd ruined it for me....

lousylegs said:
I think it could be very dangerous to introduce Paint to the Ride of the Valkyries, you don't know how many spork wounds she might inflict if she got inspired by the music.
"Kill the Wabbit, kill the Wabbit....."

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lousylegs said:
uugh, no, not another victim of P&P, ugh
What can I say? I'm a Jane Austen fan. And I thought the lighting and camera work in P&P was very good. Plus Matthew MacFayden's in it.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
paint said:
What can I say? I'm a Jane Austen fan. And I thought the lighting and camera work in P&P was very good. Plus Matthew MacFayden's in it.
In all seriousness, what of Austen do you like? It has been several years since I read anything of hers. I think that she was an excellent social commentator for her day.

who is Matthew MacFayden? wait, he is probably the guy my 17 year old sister was gushing over when she saw the movie.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lousylegs said:
In all seriousness, what of Austen do you like? It has been several years since I read anything of hers. I think that she was an excellent social commentator for her day.
Matthew MacFayden is definitely the guy your little sister was gushing about. He plays the lead, Mr. Darcy.

About Austen, I've read about 5 of her books, and so far I like Persuasion the best. It isn't very lengthy. In fact, the story is quite succinct. I thought it was an excellent portrayal of the perceived superiority of some people in her time.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
If you like Rachmaninov, the might I suggest any piano concerto by Alexander Scriabin...Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring...I'll think of more...

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
1. Careless Whisper - George Michael
2. Ride Like the Wind - Christopher Cross
3. We Built this City - Starship
4. All I wanna Do Is Make Love to You - Heart
5. Eat Steel - GWAR
5. Hello - Lionel Ritchie
6. Muskrat Love - Capn' & Tonille
7. As Long as We've Got Each Other (theme from Growing Pains)
8. Diary of a Love Song - A Perfect Circle
9. Sweetest Taboo - Sade
10. The Warrior - Scandal

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
do you want pure classical or are you open to genre-bending stuff? I really like Apocolyptica--really heavy classical. They do a killer version of Hall of the Mountain King as well as some really good metal covers. Another one I like is Vanessa Mae's album called Storm. Bond has their moments.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
real stonie said:
5. Eat Steel - GWAR
9. Sweetest Taboo - Sade
are you sure you meant this thread, these sound more like the worst songs ever nominations.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
real stonie said:
5. Eat Steel - GWAR
9. Sweetest Taboo - Sade
You forgot the theme from The Greatest American Hero. Believe it or not I'm walking on air...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts