Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
Joined
·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I came across an article about how credit card thieves will run a small transaction ($1 or less) to see if a stolen number is valid. Today, it happened to me - a $1 charge for napster showed up on my account. Thankfully discover card is vigilant and called me - card is shutdown, no liability for the charge, and new card on it's way.

article:
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/02/01/tiny_charges_on_bank_cards_could_presage_bigger_problems/

Scan your accounts frequently. I shred all my receipts, account statements, etc, and only use secure websites, but there is still the human element of those who ultimately handle your card information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
I posted something about 2 weeks ago

nonsleepingjon said:
Awhile back I came across an article about how credit card thieves will run a small transaction ($1 or less) to see if a stolen number is valid. Today, it happened to me - a $1 charge for napster showed up on my account. Thankfully discover card is vigilant and called me - card is shutdown, no liability for the charge, and new card on it's way.

article:
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/02/01/tiny_charges_on_bank_cards_could_presage_bigger_problems/

Scan your accounts frequently. I shred all my receipts, account statements, etc, and only use secure websites, but there is still the human element of those who ultimately handle your card information.
My local police dept is making progress on the theft. The F'tard used ticketexchange site to buy hockey tickets, once on my account and once on someone else's account and used the same web addy both times. Comcast security has the info, police are extracting that from them and with any kind of luck we will have an arrest in my case. I don't really know if it matters about shredding receipts etc. I am real interested in finding out how they did this and when. I am planning on removing the 3 digit pin and writing in photo ID in my name slot on the back of my cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
My local police dept is making progress on the theft. The F'tard used ticketexchange site to buy hockey tickets, once on my account and once on someone else's account and used the same web addy both times. Comcast security has the info, police are extracting that from them and with any kind of luck we will have an arrest in my case. I don't really know if it matters about shredding receipts etc. I am real interested in finding out how they did this and when. I am planning on removing the 3 digit pin and writing in photo ID in my name slot on the back of my cards.
I heard you're not supposed to do that... not sure why though.
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
30,946 Posts
My debit/credit card is being reissued (post haste) due to fraud problems of other folks who are members of our credit union.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,343 Posts
I had someone try to charge airline tickets on my debit card over the weekend. I saw it as a "pending transaction" on Monday morning when I checked my account online and immediately contacted the bank. Card immediately shut off and charges were removed before they went through.

Not sure who stole my number, though, because there wasn't a "warning" charge before the real thing. Guessing it was a waiter or waitress since I ate out for a few days in a row while I was out of town last week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
It seams restaurants are one of the places most likely to steal you card. There was a story on the local news about it last week. I didn't see the report, just the 29 million teasers to watch at 10.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,428 Posts
The parents just received new credit cards with a letter saying their old cards were "compromised". Mom's all atwitter.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
someone made a copy of my amex card a few months ago and swiped it in beirut for $12k worth of jewelry, groceries and lunch. fortunately they were on top of things and cancelled the card but i had to explain to them 5 times that i have never been to Lebanon nor had i just shopped, eaten lunch there, and flown back to the states in the same day.
 

·
eRacer
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
Awhile back I came across an article about how credit card thieves will run a small transaction ($1 or less) to see if a stolen number is valid. Today, it happened to me - a $1 charge for napster showed up on my account. Thankfully discover card is vigilant and called me - card is shutdown, no liability for the charge, and new card on it's way.

article:
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/02/01/tiny_charges_on_bank_cards_could_presage_bigger_problems/

Scan your accounts frequently. I shred all my receipts, account statements, etc, and only use secure websites, but there is still the human element of those who ultimately handle your card information.
The exact same thing happened to me. I had three $1 charges from Napster on my M/C. I disputed them and my bank removed them.
I think the safest thing to do is to view your account and your purchases online frequently and challenge anything you don't recognized. I think this happens frequently.
 

·
Le Misérable
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I had someone try to charge airline tickets on my debit card over the weekend. I saw it as a "pending transaction" on Monday morning when I checked my account online and immediately contacted the bank. Card immediately shut off and charges were removed before they went through.

Not sure who stole my number, though, because there wasn't a "warning" charge before the real thing. Guessing it was a waiter or waitress since I ate out for a few days in a row while I was out of town last week.
Airline tickets?!?!? That's beyond stupid; in today's world airline tickets are possibly the most traceable consumer products you could pick to try and make an anonymous purchase. Glad you didn't have to go that far with it, though.

Have the ATM card-reading machines made it to the US yet? The goons put this invisible little gizmo into ATMs here that electronically reads card numbers and PINS, then go remove the gizmo in the middle of the night after it's stored up a lot of numbers. Got me like that, but the bank caught on and gave me a new card before anything happened.

Also, restaurants are dangerous: I worked in them for years and it only takes a couple of crooks to make it dangerous for everyone...

...then again, a long time ago when I was young and wild and managing a brewpub, I looked the other way a couple of times when my people used CC numbers to 'mildly annoy' customers who really had it coming. Nothing horrible...just a little clearly-marked pron on the credit card statement, subscription to scatlovers.com, that sort of thing:). Wouldn't do it today, but I don't feel bad about it either...people who mistreat restaurant workers are scum.
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
30,946 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Mr. 138 seems to think that it was a security failure @ the card company involving hackers. Doesn't make sense that they'd be smart enough to break in but then dumb enough to buy plane tickets :confused:
Here's a snippet of what my CU said:

CU Letter said:
We have received notification from VISA Investigations that information from your VISA Debit Card with us may have been compromised due to a security breach at an undisclosed merchant processor or a list of its clients to us
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Andrea138 said:
.... Doesn't make sense that they'd be smart enough to break in but then dumb enough to buy plane tickets :confused:
As a teacher/professor I'd think you would already have lots of experience with smart students/people/co-irkers who don't have any sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Same thing happened to me last week, right after I placed a large order with one of the British cycle shops. Napster, iTunes and a place called Cyberdefender(ironic) were all charged. The CC called, shut down the account and all is well, except I had to change all my auto payments, and have probably missed a few.

I check my CC online all the time, but it takes a few days for the stuff to show up. My CC Co. now shows 'pending transactions' on the web page, which is a great idea.
 

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
Our govt credit cards for work all started with the same 4 numbers. Someone stole the entire set of numbers from MasterCard. We were all supposed to be shocked and surprised when our numbers were used.

They theives did the same trial run. Everyone had a $1 charge to SnapFish first, then a large purchase after that. $4000 in hot tubs, $5000 in garage doors, $5000 in plumbing supplies, etc.

The whole department just got new, non sequential cards through Visa. Shocker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
This happened to me last month and to my wife this week. In both cases the credit card company called us.

I think a large data base somewhere has been compromised. The card companies know it and are dealing with problems one card at a time.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
DoubleTap said:
This happened to me last month and to my wife this week. In both cases the credit card company called us.

I think a large data base somewhere has been compromised. The card companies know it and are dealing with problems one card at a time.
Yup...my credit union debit cards were reissued recently and last year they reissued my MC.
 

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
Joined
·
12,638 Posts
This makes me wonder if all these scams in some small part played a role in the credit issues facing the world right now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Got my debit card number stolen about 2 weeks ago and then got a letter from visa that a seperate card had been potentially compromised...

Apparently someone managed to steal some retailer's database or something.

Suddenly a ton of credit card fraud out there...
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top