Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a credit card for work. I'll be paying off the monthly balance every time, so i'm not concerned too much about interest rates.

Any advice on who has great rewards? What's the best thing you got from a rewards card?

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
I've an amex card that we pay off every month without fail. With the points we accumulate we get gift cards for departments stores. We usually get about $500 worth of gift cards every 6 or 7 months.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I have an REI Visa, I get a dividend every year that can be spent at REI. If you want, you can get a check sent to you later in the year.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Since it is for work, I think a big factor is what kind of purchases you'll be making on it.

Amex has a couple of excellent rewards cards -- I have the Blue, there's a Costco one and a rotating slate of others -- and they have excellent customer service and fraud protection. However, they are as you know not accepted as widely as Visa/MC, and the Blue's top rewards threshold is rather high.

Then there are the cards with rotating "bonus" categories. I have a Discover that I use when I can take advantage of a 5% back category, and use that to get hardware store giftcards, with a 10-20% bonus -- so for every $100 spent, I can get $5-6 in rewards. Not bad.

Visa / MC are accepted everywhere but don't issue their own cards -- banks like Capital One offer rewards cards that sound tempting, but I have shied away due to poor customer service ratings. I have a card from ages ago that became Chase after several buyouts, and while it has some neat features, it is very hard to figure out what you want to do, and the website is confounding.

I don't fly often, but studies say that air miles cards aren't usually as rewarding as cash -- unless you fly quite a lot indeed and like using points to buy upgrades.

So, if it's mostly for things like fuel, transport, and lodging, an Amex or Disco ought to do well, and you probably pick an option with extra points for gas and such.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
I have an REI Visa, I get a dividend every year that can be spent at REI. If you want, you can get a check sent to you later in the year.
+1:thumbsup:

You get a larger percentage for REI purchases, but all those non-REI charges do add up. I was able to buy a set of Ortlieb panniers with my dividend this year.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I'll be paying off the monthly balance every time
You're doing it right.

Are they paying any annual fees for this card? If not I'd skip AMEX. It isn't taken anywhere that Visa isn't (other than State of IL driver's license facilities) and the rewards program is good. Sure you could get gift cards to Home Depot or a bunch of other places with amex, but spending ($60 annually?) to get them kind of defeats the purpose.

I've had an REI Visa for years, it's free and been great.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I uae a Fidelity Amex for most everything. 2% of all purchases go into a Fidelity IRA. Between personal and work expenses, I routinely put $8-10k a month on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have 2 Capital One cards and would recommend them personally.

The CO World Card I have has no annual fee, 2% cash back on gas and groceries and 1% back on everything else. It also has a bunch of niceties such as free travel insurance (100% back for cancellations for any reason and $500 for stuff if your luggage gets lost), Extra 1 yr warranty on electronics, free rental car insurance, etc. Of course the catch is you have to use that card to pay for said things in full to get the extra for it, but I do anyway.

I pay off in full every month and have never had an issue. I have had to replace stolen cards and dispute charges and the customer service has always been very helpful for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I uae a Fidelity Amex for most everything. 2% of all purchases go into a Fidelity IRA. Between personal and work expenses, I routinely put $8-10k a month on it.
You routinely spend $40 - $50 thousand a month? Hopefully that is you using the card for a business you own? That is a lot of coin to spend otherwise.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You routinely spend $40 - $50 thousand a month? Hopefully that is you using the card for a business you own? That is a lot of coin to spend otherwise.
No, I routinely charge $8-10k a month on the card between personal and work (mostly travel/entertainment) expenses.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Getting a credit card for work. I'll be paying off the monthly balance every time, so i'm not concerned too much about interest rates.

Any advice on who has great rewards? What's the best thing you got from a rewards card?
I use a Capital One Rewards card...I turn in the points for Amazon certs most often. You can get all kinds of other awards, but those seem to be the most bang for the buck. If you need a higher limit you might want an AMEX card though--they make some that give you up to 2% cashback. I use the Amex mainly for COSTCO which doesn't take MC.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Cap 1

I've never had a cap 1 card, but, the math does seem to show they've got the most, as you say, bang for the buck.

But, (citation needed) I read a few of them consumer information websites, and they ALWAYS get bottom of the barrel customer service ratings... right up there with comcast ... so I've shied away.

w/r/t Amex and annual fees -- their traditional "charge" cards, green, gold, etc, carry annual fees, and give some perks like concierge services that I never use. But, their "credit" cards, like my Blue, or the Costco card (so long as you have a costco membership) do not carry an annual fee at this time afaik.

I use a Capital One Rewards card...I turn in the points for Amazon certs most often. You can get all kinds of other awards, but those seem to be the most bang for the buck. If you need a higher limit you might want an AMEX card though--they make some that give you up to 2% cashback. I use the Amex mainly for COSTCO which doesn't take MC.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I've had no major problems with Capital One other than recently being charged 40 dollars in service fees for forgetting to pay a 9 dollar balance which is pretty annoying but totally my fault. I guess they charge an interest fees the following month, and although I paid the full balance there was an interest charge from the previous month. Anyway, I've had a few disputes through Capital One and they have always been pretty good to deal with. I'd like to have an AMEX but I simply don't use credit cards much at all and rarely run a balance so I haven't bothered to look into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts