Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Giant TCR C3 carbon bike from a bike shop in Austin while there out of town. LBS didn't have anything to suit me. Anyway, after getting it home, I am now hearing a significant creaking sound coming from the headtube when I turn the handlebars one way or the other.

I will be back in Austin in another couple of weeks, but until that time, what can I do to fix this? Is it a lube issue, or do you think it's a bearing/headset issue? If there's an easy fix, please walk me through it.

Also, I should add... This is without me even being on the bike. Just standing here holding it and moving the handlebars back and forth. So, it can't be another location, like BB, hubs, etc.

Todd

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
is it the derailler cable housing making the noise? Rubbing on the head tube or in the barrel adjusters when you move the handlebars. If so a little lube/grease where the housing enters the barrel adjusters might help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. That was my first guess as well, but I checked the cable housings and they appear NOT to be culprit.

It definately sounds as if it is coming from the headtube.

Todd

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mersault said:
is it the derailler cable housing making the noise? Rubbing on the head tube or in the barrel adjusters when you move the handlebars. If so a little lube/grease where the housing enters the barrel adjusters might help.
D'oh! I'm an idiot. I just looked it over really hard and found that the right brake housing is indeed creaking in the frame housing (not sure of the word here). I am going to try and see if I can put some oil on it and see if that helps.

Todd

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
BoneDigger said:
D'oh! I'm an idiot. I just looked it over really hard and found that the right brake housing is indeed creaking in the frame housing (not sure of the word here). I am going to try and see if I can put some oil on it and see if that helps.

Todd
it's called the cable stop. you can release the tension in the brake line with the brake caliper quick release, pop the housing out of the stop, put a dab of grease around the ferrule on the end of the housing, then put it back in the stop. Oil will quite it down, but some grease will last longer. I hope you found that before you went after the headset adjustment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mersault said:
it's called the cable stop. you can release the tension in the brake line with the brake caliper quick release, pop the housing out of the stop, put a dab of grease around the ferrule on the end of the housing, then put it back in the stop. Oil will quite it down, but some grease will last longer. I hope you found that before you went after the headset adjustment.
Yep, sure did. I'm going to go right now and put some grease on it. I appreciate your help!

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.