Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all,

apologies for the MTB content but I have only been riding the Pista and the Schwinn (track and MTB) for the past few weeks.

Enjoy the photos and eat your roadie hearts out. the dude and I ditched Boulder for 4th of July weekend in favour of four days in peace and solitude ripping our legs off out in Crested Butte.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperative at all. It rained Every. Bloody. Afternoon. like clockwork starting at 15.30, so the Nikon didn't get much of a workout. I took the Stylus with me every day but on days 3 and 4 the light was complete and utter crap all day (foggy and dense like me).

on the positive end, our boy Aaron here is the world's best cook. Doesn't matter whether he's making dry rub for filets, hollandaise for the artichokes or just wrangling a cranky camp stove into producing egg-and-prosciutto breakfast sammiches, dude comprehensively rocks the mess. all I have to do is prep and cleanup. he somehow took a cooler full of random bits on Saturday night and produced an incredible basil pesto chicken breast with wild rice meal (complete with a Riesling and fresh black cherries he'd hidden somewhere in the car) - all of this in a primitive campground at 10,000'.

Life is good.

First up a few nice scenery shots. Check out the glory shot of Da Man cleaning a hella rocky tough line:

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
detail shots

these beauty shots are where the Nikon truly shines (obviously the Stylus point-n-shoot was the one that rode around with us on the bikes up to 12,000', got rained on, bounced around in Camelbaks and otherwise abused).

Aaron is quite a good photographer in his own right. although he's never shot digital, he's used a Nikon film body, knows his aperture from his elbow and was right at home with the D70.

see if you can guess which shots are his and which are mine.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
random followup shots

what would a photo post from me be without a few of my heavily manipulated 'faux-lomos'?

here are a couple, plus some other shots I really liked. (psst! see if you can find the fox!)

enjoy and good night!

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Now what did you want to go and post this for?

Giving me the high elevation Jones.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that is pretty.

BTW I see 6 pix of the fox and one of a furry critter.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow thanks MB1

my very first sticky ever, you totally rock!

I feel so special I could just cry... but seriously dude that was a cool thing to wake up to this am. thanks.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, and check this out:

what is it, you ask, that our boy is doing there in that third pic from the top?

<b>answer: </b>I sometimes wonder if I've lucked onto the only straight male in North America who will cheerfully, voluntarily (and competently) cook, clean AND <u>read a map</u>.

that's right kids. we were at a trail junction and he was checking to make sure we stayed on the right track. I've never ridden with a more patient person offroad. I haven't ridden tough singletrack in nearly five years, and never was much of a good technical rider to begin with. with A's endless patience and encouragement over the weekend I made some enormous breakthrus.

he also claims there's hope for my pathetic useless dorkiness on skis. I can't wait.

He's taking me back up to CB in about three weeks for my birthday. this is the first time in about ten years I can truthfully say I am looking forward to my birthday.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Great Pics LFR.....

what a beautiful place to ride.

Len

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Really nice shots. It makes me want to head out west in the summer.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers MJ

M.J. said:
nice - thanks
seriously thank YOU for posting that awesome commuting article. that was a good read this morning.

I havent driven my car to work in four months.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MB1 said:
BTW I see 6 pix of the fox and one of a furry critter.
har har ... sneaky I didn't see that comment before. and don't go getting me in trouble with Miss M either, she can ride faster than me.

seriously that fox was GINORMOUS. I thought he was a coyote at first!

and he was ultra bold. I was afraid to get closer -- I probably could have cos he was just watching us and didn't seem skittish at all. but then some knob in an RV came bumbling up the road and the fox zipped into a culvert. sigh.

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
Gorgeous

Oh, it looks like such gorgeous contry.

How are you enjoying the mountain biking? How does it feel good to get back out there?
(You don't have to read the rest of this, because I am about to drop in, into a tangent, but it felt good to write it.)

That looks like the life for me. As much as I love road riding, asphalt is a great tool, c*rs bite, I'd prefer riding on hardpack out in that glorious scenery. I'm not into downhill and super-suspendy-maybetrendy-tech stuff, I just like cross-country, getting out in the wild, driving on, and breathing deeply soaking it up into me, it becomes a part of me, or I become a part of it. I like to stop and stand on a rock, and look down a hill, and out into the panorama. I like the big sky, big fields, big rocks and trees. I love the continuous crackle of the dirt beneath the wheels, That sound connects me to the earth, I'm pushing the ground, I can push off, I can fly off, and I can pull it with me.

(Anyway) Thanks for posting these beautiful scenes.

Tshirt

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no disclaimer necessary

T-shirt said:
That looks like the life for me. As much as I love road riding, asphalt is a great tool, c*rs bite, I'd prefer riding on hardpack out in that glorious scenery. I'm not into downhill and super-suspendy-maybetrendy-tech stuff, I just like cross-country, getting out in the wild, driving on, and breathing deeply soaking it up into me, it becomes a part of me, or I become a part of it. I like to stop and stand on a rock, and look down a hill, and out into the panorama. I like the big sky, big fields, big rocks and trees. I love the continuous crackle of the dirt beneath the wheels, That sound connects me to the earth, I'm pushing the ground, I can push off, I can fly off, and I can pull it with me.
dude that entire rave could have been a direct quote from Aaron. don't let that 5" travel Santa Cruz fool you. He's all about working thru the suffering to get to the payoff. Ever heard of a little trail called Teocalli? it's a surefire Dixie beeyotch on roller skates. you climb and climb and climbandclimbandclimb and climbsomemore and then you get to the honesttogodfreaking climb and climbandclimbandclimb (and cuss in between wheezing and swatting blackflies) and then you hit super narrow singletrack and you REALLY climb...

we did that one on the third day, and at the top the heavens opened up and it poured like real old-skool Noah weather. we slid and slipped and got wet and covered in mud like a couple of naughty schoolkids playing hooky. I wadded it up in this huge slimy mudhole the motocross guys made and came out looking like the *******. those socks will never look the same. sadly at that point it was raining sideways and I was afraid even the 'weatherproof' Stylus wouldn't have survived the attempt to capture it.

when I lived in Ohio, I enjoyed mountain biking ON MY OWN quite a bit, but I usually hated riding with someone else mainly because my x was a bit, shall we say... uptight about my riding capabilities, and friction and snarkiness would naturally ensue in any group situation. I got tired of the eye-rolling and indignant glares when I'd get timid about riding something he considered super easy, so I'd just tell him to go ahead and ride it out and I'd catch up. Plus being from the Midwest, I never really rode stuff that honest-to-***** mountain bikers considered truly 'technical'.

Aaron is the best person I could have found to introduce me to this level of backcountry mountain biking. Parts of these trails were pretty far beyond me (so I thought) on the first day, but like I said he's endlessly patient (or at least very good at faking it), and he even puts up with riding the fun stuff slowly enough that I can follow his line and (Dog forbid) learn something.

It helps that I'm currently fit enough to keep up with him on the steeper climbing bits. and CB has a LOT... make that an insane amount, of climbing.

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
dude that entire rave could have been a direct quote from Aaron.

I have a confession, my secret identity is... ...just mess'n w/ya
:)

lonefrontranger said:
Ever heard of a little trail called Teocalli?
What an epic ride! I would like to TRY it, without the whitewater rafting part, of course. The mountains are so beautiful (says the non-beach person).

Your ex, hopefully by now he's learned that pushing other people down to build himself up never works. Unfortunately you were made to suffer for it.

Anyway, it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Isn't it nice to have a good cook with you?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
LFR-those are AMAZING.

You look WAY too happy. If I lived there I might even get my mtb off the garage ceiling and ride it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.