Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced my fifth training crit last night - my family was there, it was cool. I managed to finish 5th in the B (CAT 4 and 5) race. I was able to hold off most of the 20 somethings. 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place were all taken by 40-something racers.

It was awesome - we (team) attacked twice, on the second attempt, we managed to pull about 1/4 a lap for about 4 laps before the pack overwhelmed us. I haven't looked at the data, but I suspect my HR was about 190 or so. It took me a couple of laps to recover and make my way back up the to the front group Coming off the last corner I was the 4th wheel, but lost one position during the sprint to one of my team mates. What a rush. My goal is to win one of the local B races this year.

Crits are wicked workouts, for sure.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Crits are more fun than 50 crap throwin' monkeys.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
millerinva said:
It was awesome - we (team) attacked twice, on the second attempt, we managed to pull about 1/4 a lap for about 4 laps before the pack overwhelmed us.
I'm a bit confused... did you attack or just drag the pack around? Most think of attacking of jumping on the pack and breaking away from them. It sounds more like you guys set tempo for 1/4 lap...

congrats on the finish!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
EBbiker said:
Sounds like the Bryan Park Crit series. Those are a lot of fun.

Great finish after working hard in the break! The race felt like it was quite a bit faster than the last few.
I did Bryan Park when Rowelettes sponsored it a few years ago. It was one of my first races where I managed to hang on till the end. haha

have they fixed the back side with the nasty bumps? Saw a few bad crashes when I did the 5. :yikes:

Is Rowelette's still in business?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is still bumpy, but not bad if you know where the bumps are. I've only seen one wreck this year. One guy by himself sprinting to the finish line. I don't know what happened (maybe too much weight too far forward), but he slid across the finish line.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fleck said:
I'm a bit confused... did you attack or just drag the pack around? Most think of attacking of jumping on the pack and breaking away from them. It sounds more like you guys set tempo for 1/4 lap...

congrats on the finish!
well, we thought we were attacking - lol. HRM said I wuz, but the pack would have to speak up on this.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
millerinva said:
well, we thought we were attacking - lol. HRM said I wuz, but the pack would have to speak up on this.
most frequently how it goes down is someone puts in a good hard effort and gets a bit of a gap. Everyone looks at each other but steps the pace up a bit. Someone bites the bullet and pegs it back dragging the whole field with them.

best way to attack...

lay out a darn near all out effort for 15-30 seconds then settle in at your max for a TT effort.
but you do this from the middle of the pack and hit up the side. Or from teh back of a small pack aka (tail gunner)

you'll see people refer to this as a 'race winning move' some work on intervals designed for this purpose. If you're not some amazing sprinter, for most of us it's our best shot at a win. Just don't be too shocked when the pack catches, chews you up and spits you out.
But i think most of us would love getting tossed OTB 20 times if it resulted in one win.

You'll find most racers never really try anything to get a win. Most just hang in, put in a hard effort when the pack isn't tired and hope for the best.

Fight for the front and take some risks... just my take

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.