Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get faster for crits? I ride about 4x per week, usually group rides that are reasonably fast paced and solo rides that include hills and flats. I have found it difficult to maintain my endurance with all the slow down and speed ups that happen in crits. What type of training do people recommend for crits?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
will2007 said:
What is the best way to get faster for crits? I ride about 4x per week, usually group rides that are reasonably fast paced and solo rides that include hills and flats. I have found it difficult to maintain my endurance with all the slow down and speed ups that happen in crits. What type of training do people recommend for crits?

you answered your own question.

do these things called intervals that are slow down and speed up drills.

google is your friend.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
+1 above answers, especially Tabata intervals and cornering practice. You have to be able to relax at speed in corners, else you'll be drifting back and burning energy to catch up.

Another type of effort you'll want to train is the 2-5 minute max speed. From warmed up, hit the big ring and roll it as fast and efficiently as you can for at least 2, up to 5 minutes. Max speed you can maintain. It'll take some practice to figure out how to dose your effort. Recover till your pulse is near normal and legs feel ok, not breathing hard, then do it again.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
7 hours per week

will2007 said:
From Basic Training for Roadies by Fred Matheny: here's a 7 hours a week, weekly schedule that works for many riders:

Monday: Rest day with 15 minutes of resistance training.
Tuesday: Ride 1 hour with 3-8 sprints or other short, hard efforts.
Wednesday: Ride 1 hour at a steady, moderate pace.
Thursday: Ride 1 hour including about 20 minutes of any type of hard effort.
Friday: Rest day with 15 minutes of resistance training.
Saturday: Ride 1 hour at an easy pace.
Sunday: Ride 3 hours at a varied pace. Group rides or hilly courses are good choices.

Remember, intensity is one key to this program. If you could ride 200 to 400 miles per week, sheer volume would guarantee a high level of fitness. But you can't.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Andrea138 said:
^ What they said^
Also, practice cornering at 25-30mph while surrounded by 10 or so of your closest friends
it seems more like 7 of your closet friends and 3 people that you'd rather avoid

·
Registered
43 Posts
I suggest longer intervals, of the 20, 30 and 40 minute variety. Ride hard for that period of time to build your threshold strength. You would benefit by increasing your ability to recover from the super hard efforts of short intervals, but I think you are better off in the long run increasing your threshold (by doing long intervals) so that you spend more time below threshold during a race or hard ride.

Its not going to happen overnight either way, but everything I have read states that threshold power is more trainable than VO2. So go ride your bike... hard.

·
Registered
518 Posts
will2007 said:
I have found it difficult to maintain my endurance with all the slow down and speed ups that happen in crits. What type of training do people recommend for crits?
Are you getting flagged?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
pretender said:
I'm gonna try these. I'm think I'm doing OK in my first year of crit racing, but that last 1/2 lap or so (my weekly race is a .8 mile course) is a beast, I'm totally anaerobic and in pain. I find I'm OK during the 'tactical' portion of the race, but that last 1/2-3/4 of a lap is a killer.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Besides all the five-minute interval training, sprint drills, hammer rides, etc., one thing you can really control to improve your efficiency in a crit is hitting those turns at 25 mph+ without braking and continuing to pedal. It takes a lot of practice but once you are confident in those turns -- and you are able to do smooth turn -- you add up all the turns in one crit with your new efficient handling in those turns and you've just saved up a lot of energy.

Another thing is a rule of thumb: for every rider that passes you in a crit, you need to pass two more. That helps you stay in the top third of the group and from drifting to the back (and then really working).

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Another thing is a rule of thumb: for every rider that passes you in a crit, you need to pass two more. That helps you stay in the top third of the group and from drifting to the back (and then really working).
:confused:

must be all thumbs :)

can you explain that?

keep passing more riders than pass you and you'll end up at the front
pass the same number that pass you and your postion stays the same
pass fewer riders than pass you and you drift back

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Alex_Simmons/RST said:
:confused:

must be all thumbs :)

can you explain that?

keep passing more riders than pass you and you'll end up at the front
pass the same number that pass you and your postion stays the same
pass fewer riders than pass you and you drift back
You just answered your own question. Of course, you never want to be at the front-front. 5th wheel will do just fine. The main point is that a crit peloton is constantly shifting and one needs to be sensitive about staying as close to the front as possible. So when riders pass you, you should be responding, not just sitting on the wheel in front of you (unless the wheel in front of you is moving up).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.