Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about critical mass rides lately and thought I might check one out in Baltimore or D.C. but all of the information I found for the last friday rides seems to be years old and full of police horror stories.

Are these rides still going on and have they still been plagued by police problems? I understand the inherent risk of angry motorists but a police hassle waiting around the first corner might make it a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MisterC said:
I've been reading about critical mass rides lately and thought I might check one out in Baltimore or D.C. but all of the information I found for the last friday rides seems to be years old and full of police horror stories.

Are these rides still going on and have they still been plagued by police problems? I understand the inherent risk of angry motorists but a police hassle waiting around the first corner might make it a bad idea.
I have seen only one Critical Mass ride in Baltimore. It was three or four years ago. I had just stepped outside of my building with my bike for the commute home when the mob rode by. It was not very large. I just stood and waited for the madness to subside. There was a cop standing on the sidewalk outside my building who basically told me that he was told just to stand by, make sure no one got hurt and not to provoke the group.

As someone who commutes regularly, I have a real problem with Critical Mass. I need all of the friends that I can get on the road and all that Critical Mass does is to piss off drivers. In fact, I drove today. So, if they are out today and get in my way, I will be pissed too.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,331 Posts
I went to one in philly a few years back.

On the whole, whatever "positive" change was intended by CM was marred by bunch of congenitally angry people (who just happened to be on bikes) out looking for a beef, er, I mean "demonstrating" their "belief" that bikes-good cars-bad, or to put a finer point on it, drivers should be taunted to the point of near violence.

I was a bike commuter at the time, and I thought the rush hour drivers I saw every day were, if anything, more hostile toward bikes after the "enlightening" CM demonstration of "bikers rights" to block traffic and act like jerks.

Heh. Notice all the quotation marks I used? Translation: CM = BS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.