Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No sooner did I post than my Centurion began to show some serious signs of wear. It has been a good run though and I love that bike

So I have some free money, been a very good year. And I want to upgrade my fixie. I spend 1.5-2 hours a day on it 5 days a week and have done so for the past 2 years. I have great storage so I don't have to wory about theft.
So I have been thinkin about the following

Rock Lobster Steel frame (built like a cross with slightly higher clearance and a longer top tube for traffic)

Dura Ace crank
Richety Stem and Bars
Avid Disc up front and Shimano Cantis in back
Thompson seat post
Fizik saddle
Chis King Headset

Paul component hubs on velocity rims, but if I really want to bust the budget then Phil Wood.

What would you change? Flame away!!!!:thumbsup:

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
You asked. . .

Sounds like a spendy frankenbike. Too many things going on to come together like a really well put together (IMO) bike.

I would go White Industries cranks and either WI hubs with Paul brakes or Paul hubs & brakes (I would lose the disk). Substitute Phil hubs if desired.

Thomson post & stemwill work as well (OK, a touch heavier) and look much better than Thomson and Ritchey.

If you lose the Shimano crank you can pull off the Campy carbon levers.

Gilles Berthoud stainless fenders!

· Registered
105 Posts
i dont know what he is talking about..

i would totally go with the avid in the front, best brake ever made..

i dont see what the problem would be.. the color has more to do with how the bike looks (the parts match) than what brand they are.. i have several bikes that have no 2 parts from the same company and they look fine..

youre getting stuff on ebay right? alot cheaper..

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Color.

Thomson's black anodized components have a glossy finish, whereas the Ritchey stuff is matte. Paul black anodization has distinct blue tones. If you want your bike to look "fine", its not worth worrrying about.

Avid discs are best in terms of stopping power and nasty weather performance. They'd have to be worst in terms of weight, and middling in terms of finish.

867-5309,
You could also go a little different and have the frame set built around the Nitto lugged quill stem. Matching posts are available too.

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16088.html
http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/saddles_accessories/11016.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.