Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uzzie asked for more pictures so here are a few more from yesterdays trip to Colonial Williamsburg for the lowjers to tear apart. I tried to slow down a bit more and concentrate on composition, exposure and DOF. Again no real photoshop work, basically as they came out of the camera with a little cropping. Thanks again for the comments.

And if you have never been to Colonial Williamsburg it is a great place to spend a day. My wife and I spent our 17th anniversary trying to see every exhibit and take in a few of the tours. Plenty to see and very interesting exhibits. Much larger and more extensive than I thought it would be.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Your eye is better than you give yourself credit for........you took your time with these.

Toy pic is awesome.

Most of the others are good but would benefit from some PP.....Compositions are almost all spot on to my eye.

Good job

len

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I think the guy working could be a great shot. Get in a closer, open up the desk and window to his front, and crop the extra space behind him.

Pictures of buildings are really though, imo. I think you did really good composing that last one and the one of the house and the tree.

I might try bumping the saturation on a few of them, but then again, I want to bump saturation on everything I shoot.

joe

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I think the guy working could be a great shot. Get in a closer, open up the desk and window to his front, and crop the extra space behind him.

joe
i agree. i was playing with the shot of the man in capture between editing my own work pics. with a little post processing you could <strike> have a really great picture </strike> make a really great image.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks folks. I think that like in about everything I do, I tend to hurry. When I slow down I think I can do better. I'm going to get out Elements when I get home an play a bit more with the saturation and cropping. I think that there is a definite advantage to the DSLR that isn't just the image quality. Having a wide aperture, a bright viewfinder and a wider angle lens makes seeing what you are doing much easier. Any comments are welcomed.

Edit: CRAP..I missed crossed 3000 without noticing. Woohoo...

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Nothing to add to the other comments, except that you should consider your DSLR a mighty worthwhile purchase.

I like MB's crops, especially the old man pic. It seems soft to me, which might be a little bit of motion blur due to low light. If that's the case, don't be afraid to bump the ISO a little bit. I also like the pic of the placesetting. Nice composition on that one.

P.S.
Don't worry about missing your 3,000. You'll be hitting 11,000 in no time.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Nothing to add to the other comments, except that you should consider your DSLR a mighty worthwhile purchase.

I like MB's crops, especially the old man pic. It seems soft to me, which might be a little bit of motion blur due to low light. If that's the case, don't be afraid to bump the ISO a little bit. I also like the pic of the placesetting. Nice composition on that one.

P.S.
Don't worry about missing your 3,000. You'll be hitting 11,000 in no time.
Thanks, yes, I was pushing it with the gunsmith and that is probably motion blur. My old camera was so poor with higher ISO's I'm a little scared to push it. I tried to get some others in low light that ended up being blurry, I used the flash and then they looked too artificial. I'm going to play around with it a bit more. Thanks for the tips, they are appreciated. I'm heading home via a big bike swap meet and then I'm going to see what i can do with photoshop.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Shadow & highlight adjustment

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here is couple of hints. Instead of capturing something that looks interesting, take shots because the subject, in relation to the environment, conveys an emotion expression. A state of feeling. Take the older craftsman for an example. Instead of just focusing him, you should have taken the shot with a wider angle including him and the room environment. What you will get is a craftsman in his own solitude working his craft with maybe late 19th century atmosphere (the room with older furnitures).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts