Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tapped by my bike club to design our new jersey. This despite my abject lack of talent in the area of graphic design and the fact that I have all the style instincts of a......well, a ....librarian.

Here is the front. The back is similar, just with our logo on it (we have three sponsors lined up so far, and yes one of them is a John Deere dealer)

·
Registered
635 Posts
are you in love with those colors? are those the team colors? If so, consider revising them. How bout something less turquoise/purple/orange

I prefer jerseys with bold colors, they look cleaner and more intidimating (imo)
think red/black, green/blue, yellow's? whites?

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I kinda like it. What company are you having them made at? When my group had our jerseys made, Voler was very helpful in color choice.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think it is a really good design. However I don't like the colors either. If you are locked into those colors for whatever reason than it good for what you had to work with.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would think about the sleeves... One has some type and the other is blank. Maybe put the same treatment on both sleeves... might balance it out a bit.

The frankling County VA is tough to read in the color you have on top of the orange. I would think about maybe white like the rest... that might be tough as well depending on the how rich the orange color actual is.

I agree with the others about the color... if you made the turquiose orange it would look a little like rabobank ;)

you could probably bring down the size of the john deer logo... Also, it is black and there isn't black anywhere else... maybe it is white like the the other logo.

Maybe try the Frankling County in purple... and the upper part orange as well with white logos.

Just some suggestions.. I have designed a few jerseys and I always like to look at existing teams jerseys and see what works and what doesn't.

Jersey design is a tough thing.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
"Abject lack of talent" my oversized butt.

That ain't half bad at all!

Colors ... probably not what I'd choose, either, but I presume you have your reasons, and maybe they're not being well represented here.

I think I'd put the "Franklin Co., VA" up under "Freewheelers" as a second line, with the font size reduced so both lines are the same length. This could give you more room to make the twisty road a tad more twisty, maybe. (Or free up some room for yet more sponsors?)

The sponsor name on the right sleeve isn't going to be readable by an onlooker when the rider is on the bike, or when someone is standing alongside the rider when he's off the bike. I'd rotate it around the sleeve, and turn it parallel to the ground when the wearer is standing erect.

Otherwise, I like it. The overall concept, of the road snaking up over the mountain pass, is great.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
GTDave said:
I have been tapped by my bike club to design our new jersey. This despite my abject lack of talent in the area of graphic design and the fact that I have all the style instincts of a......well, a ....librarian.

Here is the front. The back is similar, just with our logo on it (we have three sponsors lined up so far, and yes one of them is a John Deere dealer)
Dave,

It looks pretty good. I'm no artist either but I've been on teams that have done a few cusomt jerseys. Here's what I see that you might want to think about.
1) Consider a Raglan style. The Adventure B&B name running the lenght of both shoulders would look good.
2) A style with side panels is something else to consider.
3) I don't know the how small a jersey you need to accomodate, but if you need women's smalls I suspect you will need to move your two sponsor logos at the top closer to the zipper and the County name will need to be more tucked into the bend in the road. If that's the case, your maker will tell you this in short order but you might want to have it in your head as you continue design.

Good luck

Scot

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not bad!

Watch out for dark colors over light colors. This is how animals like lions make themselves less visible- natural objects have shadows underneath. So, if you want cars to see you, put light colors on top, and dark colors below. Heck, you want to be as visible as possible!

That monkey-poop pumpkin color... how about green, like the countryside you roll through?

How about lightening the blue?

The John Deer logo... can it go on the sleeve or down lower? I wonder why a tractor company is up in the sky... also, that round logo looks like the sun. I think the "sun" should be right where the Deere logo is.

I like your design. I'm being as critical as I can here... hope it gives you something to think over and try before rejecting!

d'm

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
BTW

Are they charging you for black, making this a 4, not 3 colored jersey. If so, see if you can convince your sponsors to display their logo's in one of your other colors (like blue). That would save you a few bucks.

Scot

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I like it in general, except:

1. I can't read the "Franklin..." part. Try making it dark blue.

2. I don't like the orange sleeves off the light blue. The transition is too harsh. Personally, I would keep them light blue, and try to work in some orange or white on the top or bottom edge of the sleeve. Or, transition from light blue to white, then put orange, blue, and light blue stripes on the end of the sleeves, like some pros do when they've won a national championship.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I agree with most of the suggestions--Allez Rouge covered most of my design issues well. I would ask about the John Deere sponsor logo--is that all he/she really wanted? Just the corporate logo and no mention of the local dealership? Seems unlikely.

And while you may not really want to get into it, there are probably some pretty specific usage rules for the John Deere logo--It might be that it can never be black, unless it's a black and white print job, or maybe the deer always has to be yellow, or something. You probably don't need to sweat it, but you should be aware this kind of thing comes up sometimes, and can force you to change a design.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I like it but I do agree that the Franklin county portion of the logo is hard to read. I completely missed it the first time I looked at it. And I lived in Rocky Mount for 5 years and married a girl from there;)

I like the colors, they are a little rabobankish but I like that. I believe that the older jerseys were green & black which I really liked. But they were a little busy if I remember them right. Hard to pick between the two. But to be a real Franklin county jersey it would have to have a copper overtone with a still on the back;-)

I'm on the other side of the lake in Lynchburg, come on over and ride sometime. Our website is at www.811velo.com.

VA

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would either ditch the orange and replace it with light blue or vice-versa. Also change the Va stuff at the bottom to the dark blue. Good job on the design.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I won't critique but let me just say I don't envy you in the least. I got dumped with the same task a month ago for my college team... that was a PITA in the highest order. My talents lie in the web realm, not so much graphic design but I was the only one who had any experience with Adobe Illustrator or any vector graphics program of any kind.

After throwing a few designs back and forth I finally got it done but not after a few irksome moments. If you need some inspiration grab a photo of a rider from the rear and use your graphics program of choice to sort of color the rider's jersey like your design... that helped me to get some ideas/resolve color issues.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
I like the design, but not the color mix.

The mix of colors makes it look like an 1980s pastel thing - I think with the
same design and some more updated mix of colors you would have a great
design:

Some of the recommendations above, especially the one on how to make
yourself more visible to motorists would be apt here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My only comment is about zippers. Assuming there will be a zipper in this jersey, how long will it be? Will it go into the dark blue part of the jersey? On a personal style note, I think it would look better if the dark blue section stayed solid, without a zipper. Break up the light blue with a zipper, but it would look 'smart' as my Mom says, if the zipper ended at the dark blue. just my two cents.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
It's not bad... one thing, drawings don't always look the same as the final result. If whoever is making them has a graphics dept, listen to what they recommend.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The basic design is quite appealing for someone who claims to be a hack.

You could use john deere green instead of that burnt fecal orange color and make a sponsor happy too.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Anyway to add a little bike cruisin' that nice country road?

·
Registered
98 Posts
freewheelers?

GT,

I think the design is ok if not maybe a tad boring...Where is the wheel in all this? You are called the freewheelers afterall... How about a wheel with a wing on it?...kind of like the NHL hockey team, Detroit Redwings. Just suggestions...Also, Gotta agree about the colors...GO BOLD MAN! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts