Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after much thought, I've decided to go custom. I'm 150lbs, and basically just do recreational rides in mostly rolling terrain. I originally wanted CK R45 hubs, but couldn't justify the cost for the riding that I do, but I wanted red hubs to bring a little "bling" to the bike. So here it is:

BHS Hubs (SLF71W) + SL211 (what is the general consensus on these hubs)
Panceti SL 23 Rims
CX Rays 20/24
Alloy nips

My calculations get this set to about 1400g for under $400. Do you guys have any suggestions or alternatives for the type of riding that I do? I don't generate a lot of power, and average about 27kph on most rides. I do like climbing so I'd like to keep the weight down.

I've also considered the HED Ardennes SL from CC for $660 and the Boyd Vitesse wheels as an option that's very similar to the build I might want. If boyd didnt have their logos on the rim, and the skewers they would have been the easy choice. Your opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I agree with Ergott regarding a stronger drive side spoke, but would also add that if cost is a concern run Sapim Laser spokes instead of the CX-rays. At 1/3rd of the cost they are a much better value. CX-Rays are "hot" right now, but for a recreational rider who prefers climbing they benefit you, roughly, zero.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. The cost is already well below my original budget of $800. I do prefer the looks of bladed spokes so that's why I chose the cx rays. What would be an example of a stronger spoke to use on the right side? Or would going with 28 in the rear do the same thing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can also build it triplet style with the SL211 hub. That allows for 16 spokes on the DS and 8 on the NDS to keep tensions on both sides more similar. Keep in mind, if you lose a NDS spoke, it will be impossible get the wheel true enough to hobble home unless you have a emergency fiber spoke.
Tips on a 16:8 triplet lacing. NDS always heads in. DS calculate using 3.167 cross.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Do the BHS hubs have logos on them? Also is there any real world difference between the Panceti SL23 and Kinlin 279's? The kinlins are quite a bit cheaper with a small weight penalty, but seem to be getting good reviews also.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the input. Do the BHS hubs have logos on them? Also is there any real world difference between the Panceti SL23 and Kinlin 279's? The kinlins are quite a bit cheaper with a small weight penalty, but seem to be getting good reviews also.
No logos.

I don't have any experience with Kinlin rims, but I can say that the Pacenti rims are very nice.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
What would be an example of a stronger spoke to use on the right side?
What you'd want is a *stiffer* spoke... ie heavier. Like a Sapim race, WS DB14, etc.

I've been encouraging Alchemy to import and distribute Sapim CX-Sprints, which are aero spokes that are apparently a little lighter than the Race, but will fit in hubs without slotting. I think there would be good demand now that S11 is making the DS offsets so low.

But if you do a good job of building the wheels you should be able to use CX-Rays on the DS without problems. Make the DS tension at least 120kg. Lace the DS 2x and the NDS radial head-out.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Also is there any real world difference between the Panceti SL23 and Kinlin 279's?
I haven't worked with the Pacentis yet, but I have worked with a ton of the Kinlins. The XC279 is definitely the best hoop from Kinlin, but it doesn't have the finish of the Archetype from H Plus Son, or the C2 from Hed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can use CX-Rays on the drive side at your weight. I weigh exactly the same and built a set with the Kinlin XC-279 rim, BHS hubs and 20f, 24r CX-Rays. Drive side tension is 130kgf and non-drive ended up at 60kgf and I have had no issues with spokes unwinding. The Pacenti SL23 rim is 30g lighter so might be preferred from a climbing perspective. I would use the BHS SL218 hub which provides better bearings and higher non-drive to drive side tension at the cost of just 7g.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You guys have been awesome. Thanks for all the input. Now the questions is red, black, or grey? I'm thinking red to stand out a bit but maybe too flashy? I know this pic is all sorts of wrong but it's all I got for now with the old Fulcrum 7's.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You guys have been awesome. Thanks for all the input. Now the questions is red, black, or grey? I'm thinking red to stand out a bit but maybe too flashy? I know this pic is all sorts of wrong but it's all I got for now with the old Fulcrum 7's.
Black or red. Since your build is so simple from a color perspective you can get away with whatever hub color you like an still look pretty classy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.