Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm revamping my training so I don't ever get dropped 3/4th of the way through a crit ever again (I hope).

But now, in terms of making my bike faster for me, is it more important to have aerodynamics or overall weight for the acceleration/deceleration in crits?

· Registered
1,350 Posts
CleavesF said:
Okay, I'm revamping my training so I don't ever get dropped 3/4th of the way through a crit ever again (I hope).

But now, in terms of making my bike faster for me, is it more important to have aerodynamics or overall weight for the acceleration/deceleration in crits?

First part will actually help. Second part will only help mentally. There are no faster bikes, only faster riders.

3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... considering I'm riding 4 lbs wheels... Knowing I could lose at least a 1.5 lbs with a good 500 bucks sound pretty good to me.

I mean c'mon... for a wheelset that weight 2kg+ I think I'm doing pretty good.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
CleavesF said:

If you are accelerating and decelerating, then you need to get your butt to the front where you won't have to... and for that you will value aerodynamics the most.

· Registered
115 Posts
In a crit, aero wheels does nothing unless you can take (and sustain) solo flyers off the front. For pack fodders like me, I leave the carbon deep wheels for TTs. Lighter wheels spin up faster making quicker accelerations.
As Ron said - get yourself towards the front to avoid the accordion effect (but not THE very front).

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Saving 1.5 pounds will not save you from being dropped.
To "save" weight, you would be better off losing 5 pounds. This will increase your Watts per kilogram power, a little. Super high zoot aero wheels are nice, but only help a little when you are riding mid pack.
The best solution is to get stronger and smarter.

· Registered
82 Posts
I just got back from watching the Tour of White Rock criterium in Vancouver, BC and I would guess that 80% of the cat. 1 & 2 riders were using aero wheels and the majority of those were carbon. Even on the Hillclimb the day before I saw a lot of carbon aero wheels.
Andrew Pinfold of Symmetrics took the criterium and Chris Horner of Astana was second, but Horner came back and took the road race the next day.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Rot Wiess Essen said:
I just got back from watching the Tour of White Rock criterium in Vancouver, BC and I would guess that 80% of the cat. 1 & 2 riders were using aero wheels and the majority of those were carbon. Even on the Hillclimb the day before I saw a lot of carbon aero wheels.
Andrew Pinfold of Symmetrics took the criterium and Chris Horner of Astana was second, but Horner came back and took the road race the next day.

The sponsors give them the wheels to race for marketing. Horner and others could smoke the field on 32 spoke open pros with some decent clinchers.

3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Saving 1.5 pounds will not save you from being dropped.
To "save" weight, you would be better off losing 5 pounds. This will increase your Watts per kilogram power, a little. Super high zoot aero wheels are nice, but only help a little when you are riding mid pack.
The best solution is to get stronger and smarter.
I'm 5'8" and 135 lbs as of this Friday. I just had my physical. My doctor told me I had to eat 3600 calories a day to KEEP my weight.

My stupid BMI is 21. I'm damn anorexic.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
bluemarinoni said:
Sounds like you could gain some weight.
No... look at the guys winning mountain stages in the Tour. He is a good size for climbing races.

Cleaves... I'd suggest getting some fairly deep and light aluminum rimmed wheels with aero spokes... if you feel you must have new wheels. It isn't going to make a big difference though.

· Registered
650 Posts
rruff said:
No... look at the guys winning mountain stages in the Tour. He is a good size for climbing races.

Cleaves... I'd suggest getting some fairly deep and light aluminum rimmed wheels with aero spokes... if you feel you must have new wheels. It isn't going to make a big difference though.
The impact those wheels have is not dependent on the wheels he is currently using? (This is meant as a question for the wheel guru, not an attack).

3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rruff said:

That's why I suck at Crits! No Hills :thumbsup: or should that be thumbsdown :mad2:

Anyways, I'm really working on my anaerobic endurance since that's seems to be my problem. I got the pop. I just can't pop for an hour. Only for 30-45 mins, it'll get there, hopefully by the end of this year.

Thanks again for all the replies.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
PigmyRacer said:
The impact those wheels have is not dependent on the wheels he is currently using? (This is meant as a question for the wheel guru, not an attack).
He says they weigh over 2kg and I'm assuming they are rather cheap. Wheels just don't have enough of a real impact to be the deciding factor, IMO... not when you are getting dropped in crits.

· Registered
257 Posts
I'm somewhat in the same boat same boat as you.
I'm 5'5" and 127lbs. I'm pretty good at climbing and am having trouble with the crits... I just started riding in April coming from 14 years inline speedskating(no hardcore training for the last 4 though).

The answer to not getting dropped in crits is: INTERVALS.
Hitting the gym in the off season will help too.
Lighter wheels will help a little bit.

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.