Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Funk is dealing with his mole, AKA one of Satan's turds turned flesh, I'm having to cope with an infestation of my own. Yesterday morning as I blearily stumbled into the kitchen area I found a mouse frantically jumping up and down in the sink trying to get the heck out of there. Remember this happens at 5:45 am and I do need my cup of joe to help me rehabilitate , so before I figured out a way of catching the little fu*ker it jumped out of the sink and ran like the little cowards that they are. Nice. Mice. Unfortunately the lease says no pets, otherwise I would have gotten a pound cat straightaway so I'm stuck with the options of poison: no good, because they'll crawl into somewhere inaccesable and stink the place up for a long time. And traps. The hardware store had traps that keep them alive, but you have to release them at least half a mile away or they'll run straight back and besides half a mile away is someone elses home. Leaves the nasty traps, the plastic ones had a weak spring -didn't even hurt my finger :eek: - so I got me the wooden hair triggered snap'em in two squirting the innards variety with yummy peanutbutter for bait to probe their strentgh. Waiting for the snap. It's gonna be an interesting week...

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
EX-cellent, I love it when a plan comes together...

That would be my advice.... the wooden hair-triggered ones... they flock to those like male NCDers on Von. Be careful though, get it good and slathered up, cuz those little suckers send out two or three sacrificial lambs to test the spring strength, then they must develop specialized tools, or send in the mouse ninja master, because they start picking those damn things clean.... we used to live in an old farm house where every fall they would come in, and I would do battle for a while. But if you get rid of the first wave, you'll be pretty free of the little beasts.

Stragegic placement is paramount. Not that my strategy has worked with the mole, though.

Or... I guess you could also do what I did...move. (however i inherited a mole)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it comes down to special ops from their side, I'll just have to "borrow" one of the neighbor's cats or get a ferret to root them out. :D

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Skip the traps.

As one with experience with mice in multiple dwellings (I must be like a mouse magnet) I'll tell you that if you really want to eradicate them, poison is the way to go.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, poison will kill them easy but there's too many places for them to crawl into and stink, the house is probably over a 100 years old. I'd rather say screw the landlord and get a cat.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
rogger said:
Yeah, poison will kill them easy but there's too many places for them to crawl into and stink, the house is probably over a 100 years old. I'd rather say screw the landlord and get a cat.
If you're gonna go with a cat, borrow one instead of adopting one from the pound.

Otherwise, what are you gonna do with it when the landlord finds out and you have to get rid of it? Take it back to the pound? That's like Pretty Woman without the sappy ending...back to the slums for you, p*ssy!!

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Cats of today...

rogger said:
When it comes down to special ops from their side, I'll just have to "borrow" one of the neighbor's cats or get a ferret to root them out. :D
Cats just arent what they used to be. It must be due to broken homes, too much tv, and bad diet. Back in the good old days, the cats had to go uphill both ways to eat, and by God they respected their elders. Nowadays, cats sit perched atop their furniture and just look about as if they were entitled or something.

Cats would rather play with a string these days. Anyway, my couch furball does not do anything remotely close to catching mice. I do, however can tell when he hears one. When she sits staring at an otherwise bare wall or corner... its time for battle. But as for catching them... my last few cats have been worthless.

I did have a cat in the past though, that would bring in mice, moles, and RABBITS. but not dead... ALIVE and torture the little things, and I would find them... unfortunately deceased. One time I found a mom and two babies under my sister's toybox. How a 10 lb cat managed that, I have no clue... In retrospect maybe its better the current cat just sits on the furniture.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
perfecto. i was just going to suggest the peanut butter. trust me, that works!

post before and after pics!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best get some offspring of a farm cat. A friend of mine grew up on a farm where they had really well-fed cats but they actually got a tiny amount of catfood a day, the rest they took care of themselves. :)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A camera! My horse for a camera!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay Okay. I'll get some of those catch 'em alive traps and mail my harvest to you by courier and make sure they have some nibbles for the journey, okay?

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Pb

rogger said:
Okay Okay. I'll get some of those catch 'em alive traps and mail my harvest to you by courier and make sure they have some nibbles for the journey, okay?

Use some peanut butter and those SUPER sticky traps, work great.....we get those little F*ckers every fall when the weather starts to turn......I let them get stuck, then I throw the WHOLE trap into the firepit in the back yard...watch the little bas*ards FRY....

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Surely there must be someone you dislike enough to release them to after you catch em. I have dropped off a few at the Butt Hutt on the way to work in the morning. Somehow I found it tintillating to imagine dancers in G-strings shrieking and climbing on chairs. I got some traps that have this deal that looks like a piece of cheese that you don't have to bait. They work good for awhile; prolly some pheremone vanishes with time and then you can convert them to regular bait. Hopefully u are not like a certain wuss that I know who always buys a new trap for every mouse, because he is afraid to empty and rebait the traps. They invade my garage when it gets cold and I make sure there is something like grass seed or dog food to placate them, so they won't come into the house. Check out the battery operated trap that electrocutes them like Ted Bundy. It was a little too pricey for me.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I wonder...

physasst said:
Use some peanut butter and those SUPER sticky traps, work great.....we get those little F*ckers every fall when the weather starts to turn......I let them get stuck, then I throw the WHOLE trap into the firepit in the back yard...watch the little bas*ards FRY....

If you had a big enough hook, could you use them as bait to catch the BIG FISH? I'm thinking it might work until the mouse stopped swimming. Im feeling a little guilty about being curious about that. However, at least Im not like Russell from my childhood who used to go to the river, find these little frogs and put firecrackers in their mouths, lite the firecrackers, then throw the frogs into the river. The frogs would swim like crazy to make it back to shore and poof.... I feel a little disturbed that I got to witness that, but Russ was bigger and meaner than any of us... and so.... anyway, a mouse does look a LOT like a mole, so ... Im thinking fishbait.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
now i'm thinking "firecracker-mouse-ass-in-the-trap-firepit-duct-taped-to-12ga-shotgun-shell".
I am not liking the direction this thead is heading :::: hands on hips, foot tapping :::

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
funknuggets said:
If you had a big enough hook, could you use them as bait to catch the BIG FISH? I'm thinking it might work until the mouse stopped swimming. Im feeling a little guilty about being curious about that. However, at least Im not like Russell from my childhood who used to go to the river, find these little frogs and put firecrackers in their mouths, lite the firecrackers, then throw the frogs into the river. The frogs would swim like crazy to make it back to shore and poof.... I feel a little disturbed that I got to witness that, but Russ was bigger and meaner than any of us... and so.... anyway, a mouse does look a LOT like a mole, so ... Im thinking fishbait.
now i'm thinking "firecracker-mouse-ass-in-the-trap-firepit-duct-taped-to-12ga-shotgun-shell".

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Hillbilly Jim would do that...

haiku d'etat said:
and then crack it with a 2x4

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
snapdragen said:
I am not liking the direction this thead is heading :::: hands on hips, foot tapping :::
sorry, i would eat the little f*ckers, but i stick to tofu and couscous these days, no vermin.

now that you've got me thinking food, tho (cafeteria-arian), i'm consdering microwaving the little fellers in seran wrap. ummm! the third white meat!

;)

btw everything you've just read is three times worse than anything you'll see in "hostel". imho.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
TRUE STORY:

when i was a punk-rock teenager living in an apt with four roomies and a few of their girlfriends and whomever i brought home that night (one of these guys LIVED in the BACK ENTRY HALL, bed and all, with his GF!), i had a big room and the closet across the hall.

well, my shirts kept gettin holes in 'em. the ones in the closet. so one day i see's this flash of grey streaking across the floor from closet to kitchen. and so i wait. with a hammer.

and it goes BACK to the closet.

closet is one way in/same way out: door.

soze i block off the exit of the door and then shut it. inside the closet i'm stalking. it's a gigantic under-staircase double walk-in closet. and i found the little f*cker. mind you, i also had a shoebox. and intended to capture and release. but it didn't work out that way.

snap, tune out now.

so box gets crushed and the little bast*rd rushes me, and he's about the size of a small cat (was it a RAT?).

hammer in back pocket suddenly materializes in left hand and WHAM!

former rat.

that's all i'm saying. hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts