Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this an appreciable upgrade? I've been knocking this idea around simply because ... well, I don't know why it keeps crossing my mind when there is a drivetrain to upgrade and bottom bracket to overhaul but does. :rolleyes:

Noted that Nashbar's weighs around 1400 grams, Surly's Cross Check fork is around 1000. Haven't a clue what my hybrid's mild steel fork weighs.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Is this an appreciable upgrade? I've been knocking this idea around simply because ... well, I don't know why it keeps crossing my mind when there is a drivetrain to upgrade and bottom bracket to overhaul but does. :rolleyes:

Noted that Nashbar's weighs around 1400 grams, Surly's Cross Check fork is around 1000. Haven't a clue what my hybrid's mild steel fork weighs.
How did you manage to find a bike with a mild steel fork? I thought all forks had been cro-moly for the last two decades or so. But, by all means, go for it. More for the strength benefits than the weight benefits, I'd say.

- FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
fbagatelleblack said:
How did you manage to find a bike with a mild steel fork? I thought all forks had been cro-moly for the last two decades or so. But, by all means, go for it. More for the strength benefits than the weight benefits, I'd say.

- FBB
Hmm ... I'm basing that on the label on the frame that says "Cro-Moly Main Tubes." The fork also says "CRO-MOLY" on it .. but I've assumed thus far that it's just to mention to that this bike has some cro-moly parts in a conspicious place so people in 1993 would buy it. Think it might be a cro-moly fork after all?
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
When the frame says "Cro-Moly Main Tubes." , it means that the stays are made from "gas pipe"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I realize that. Is there a point to that outside of the obvious that it weighs more and confirms that it's an inexpensive ol' hybrid?
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Hmm ... I'm basing that on the label on the frame that says "Cro-Moly Main Tubes." The fork also says "CRO-MOLY" on it .. but I've assumed thus far that it's just to mention to that this bike has some cro-moly parts in a conspicious place so people in 1993 would buy it. Think it might be a cro-moly fork after all?
If the fork has a "cro-moly" sticker on it, then it is made out of cro-moly. Whichever tube has the cro-mo sticker needs to be made out of cro-mo. I remember GT used to make bikes with ONE cro-mo tube in the whole thing (the seat tube) so they could put a cro-mo sticker on it.

What brand/model of bike is it?

- FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, then I'm keeping the fork. Good -- $60-80 saved. :)

fbagatelleblack said:
What brand/model of bike is it?
It's a '93 Giant Nutra. Nothing special, except to me maybe.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
It's a '93 Giant Nutra. Nothing special, except to me maybe.
Ohhhhh! It's THAT Giant Nutra! Stick with the fork you got. It's a good, sturdy, relatively light fork, and it matches the rest of the bike. There's a good chance that if you replace it, the replacement won't have the same dropout-to-crown length, which would screw up your front end geometry.

Put that money to better use somewhere else. Although, I must say, those photos of the bike you posted suggested that you've done a very good job so far. I'm not sure what else the bike needs! And don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy a new bike. They don't make 'em like that Nutra any more.

- FBB
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
there is a drivetrain to upgrade and bottom bracket to overhaul but does. :rolleyes:
If I were you, I'd upgrade in this order:

1. Bottom bracket
2. Crankset
3. Anything else

You might want to do the bb and the crankset together so you get a set that goes together well (especially if you go with a splined bb/crank rather than a square-taper). Check the Rivendell catalog.

- FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
You might want to do the bb and the crankset together so you get a set that goes together well (especially if you go with a splined bb/crank rather than a square-taper). Check the Rivendell catalog.
Thanks, and thanks for the affirmation there too. I occassionally wonder how silly I might look asking questions on the behalf of my $300 13-year-old hybrid -- not that it would stop me or anything, obviously!

I've done some surfing and decided to just lay down a C-note with Nashbar on this one after a thread I posted in the components section came back to say they produce adequate house brand components. Going to replace the bb, cranks, cassette and chain all in one pop. I figure if I do this all the components will break in to each other and the bicycle gods will smile down upon me yet some more. The derailleurs work as well as the day I bought the bike so far as I can tell with friction shifters (the indexed rapid fires it came with were struggling on occassion, but I think that was their own fault and they had to go for the drop bars anyway), but these pieces are worn and weather-lorn, especially the cassette. Plus it still has the original chain with around 4-5K miles on it - which apparently is a particularly bad thing and might be why my chain tool has recommended the hack saw. :eek: I was going to hold off a little longer, but I could finally feel it in the pedalling (the bb) yesterday and decided to place my order this weekend. The bike has all MTB drivetrain (excepting the 700C wheels, of course), so Nashbar's parts marketed as replacements for old MTB's and hybrid fits the bill perfectly here. And they're mostly silver instead of black, so even my sense of aesthetics is happy with the idea.

Other than that, the wheels come 99% true even after extensive off-roading through stuff a cross bike had no business mucking around in 12 years ago (actually got a surprised look from an LBS guy back then in Ohio, who upon hearing of where I'd been on it speculated that be that as it may, a MTB would hold up to a crash better maybe but "wow, glad the knobbies I sold you are working so well for ya!"), so I think they're sticking around. Anyway, no more changes are warranted until I maybe get a new sleek, sexy bike for fast group rides, etc, and switch this over to fenders, wide-ish Panaracers and mount some big ol' Baggins bags from Rivendale for credit card touring a year or two down the road!

Oh, and I'll keep my existing bottom bracket nonetheless. From your post on my other thread, sounds like it can be restored and from Nashbar's site, their stuff will fit it. But I like the idea of keeping it on hand as a spare when their sealed one breaks.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Thanks, and thanks for the affirmation there too. I occassionally wonder how silly I might look asking questions on the behalf of my $300 13-year-old hybrid -- not that it would stop me or anything, obviously!
Hey, if you feel too embarrassed around here, sneak over too:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bicycle_Restoration

Your Nutra will seem young and fancy compared to a lot of the bikes discussed there.

Zaurusman said:
Going to replace the bb, cranks, cassette and chain all in one pop.
You made sure that the new cassette will mate with your existing cassette body, I assume...

Zaurusman said:
Anyway, no more changes are warranted until I maybe get a new sleek, sexy bike for fast group rides, etc, and switch this over to fenders, wide-ish Panaracers and mount some big ol' Baggins bags from Rivendale for credit card touring a year or two down the road!
Uh-oh! Sounds like we got a nascent hardcore BOB on our hands... I give you another six months before you place the order for a Rambouillet (or maybe you'll start with a Bleriot), two years before you're on the waiting list for a custom Riv. Well, I guess you gotta' spend your money somewhere, and I can think of a whole lot worse places to spend it. In any case, you've got a good plan there. Ride that Nutra anywhere and everywhere and get a go-fast bike when you need it. Take care of the Nutra and pass it on to your grandkids!

Glad I helped start the obsession,

FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL! It may be an obsession alright, but I have to do all my obsessions in moderation, lest one obsession steal excessive funding from another obsession, etc. I think of it as a juggling of obsessions, but not an obsession with juggling through I juggle enough you'd think I were obsessed. :D Plus I'm saving like crazy for a house. I'm thinking more along the lines of a nice Bianchi for under a grand, components slowly upgraded to all Campy bits and nice wheels as they fit into the budget. I'll probably change my mind a few times first, though, and for all I know will wake up one morning in a cold sweat realizing I charged an insane sum to my credit card the night before.

Thanks for that site. Just looking through the photos has me drooling. I'm somewhat sure about the cassette; they guy at the LBS told me I have a freehub on the rear wheel and the components on it OEM are all Shimano. I think that means I should get this:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=87&subcategory=1109&brand=&sku=6213&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
I'm thinking more along the lines of a nice Bianchi for under a grand, components slowly upgraded to all Campy bits and nice wheels as they fit into the budget.
Check out the Jamis bikes as well. I really like them. But the Bianchis are very cool as well. I tend to stick with Shimano drivetrain components. They work so darn well. But I do have a Campy triple crank waiting to go onto the Wanta. I'm going to stick with Shimango derailleurs. Oh, and a Suntour cassette with ratcheting shifters from the Riv catalog.

Zaurusman said:
I'm somewhat sure about the cassette; they guy at the LBS told me I have a freehub on the rear wheel and the components on it OEM are all Shimano. I think that means I should get this:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=87&subcategory=1109&brand=&sku=6213&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
Methinks that'll proabably do the trick.

- FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, those are nice bikes! The middle-of-the-road one is nice, and I love the dark grey of the $700 one. Any other mainstream bicycle manufacturers that make affordable steel bikes you'd recommend looking at?

I have to admit my old old Shimano derailleurs seem to be working as advertised even today. I don't recall even lubing them but once or twice.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Any other mainstream bicycle manufacturers that make affordable steel bikes you'd recommend looking at?
The Redline 9-2-5 is highly groovy, but not really what you've been talking about.

Try searching on "Reynolds 853" and see what bikes come up. That is really great steel tubing. It's made from Maraging Stainless, which is MUCH stronger than 4130 cro-moly. And I just saw that Reynolds is introducing 953, which is MUCH stronger still (same material, different heat-treat).

Whatever you do, do not click on this link:

http://www.kogswell.com/

Or you might be lost forever.

Actually, this one might make you drool a bit more:

http://www.kogswell.com/p.html

Yours,

FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That brief run-down of steel grades is good to know; thanks!

That Kogswell's very nice, but if I'm going to ride a lugged bike it's going to have to be a restored classic that comes out to show off or for when I feel like riding something special. If I had my choice it would be an old Raleigh club bike from when they had primitive drops and Sturmey-Archers in the rear. So much evolution on display in those bikes! Bet they're hard to come by, though.

When I think fast and sexy, or if I were to wake up in the middle of the night to discover I'm wearing my cycling gloves all of a sudden and spitting imaginary bugs out of my mouth, I think this would be the lingering mental impression of my slumbers:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/bikes/road/bike_c/index.html

Well, with a nice Brooks Team Professional saddle, of course.

Anyway, I'll shoot you a PM when I have some more pics of the bike in a week or two, and will shoot them over to the site you mentioned before. You've taken a good bit of guesswork out of this for me, and I appreciate it. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top