Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question? I am a mountain biker...Tried the road thing, too scary, so I prefer the woods.
As far as these two options, I know that one is tried and true...the Jake the Snake(http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_c...roduct_detail.aspx?productid=352&parentid=253) vs this Motebecane
(http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_preorder.htm#specs)
Disregarding price diff, is the JTS really going to last me longer?
Or am I likely going to trash it so would it make more sense to get the less expensive one?
Also, can anyone recommend one that would be most comfortable on trails with roots?
Thanks for your opinions.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
On a dry day, riding a cross bike on a rooty trail is fun and you will find the more precise handling and lack of the suspension fork make it easy to pick a good line through the roots. You will also be required to pick a good line because there is not the room for error afforded by the big tire and suspension fork.

Now, when it gets rainy and muddy, that's another story. Unless I have to navigate a rooty section in a race, I tend to just stay out of the slick roots on the cross bike, there is an awful tendency for the bike to shoot out from under you and I get sick of all the little bumps and bruises that causes, plus you go so slow it's not much of a workout.

Tire wise, you can run something a little fatter and let the air out some, but it's hard to really run them soft and the contact patch is smaller no matter how you cut it. Part of cross riding is hopping off the bike and running the technical stuff and hopping back on, it's kind of fun once you get used to it.

Either bike is fine, the cheap ones are heavy and use lower grade parts. I like an aluminium frame myself, light is good in this sport.

· Banned
476 Posts
weight

if you look - you will see the Motobecane and the Kona weigh the same
and I agree - aluminum in cross bikes is more typical and easier to get a good buy on
a Ti or high-grade steel could be nice - but either would be way expensive

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.