Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you've all weighed in on this one too many times already, but here it is again.

I currently have a Scattante XRL Cross bike built up as a 1x10 with SRAM Rival. However I don't race cross. Don't race at all right now. Might be in the future, as the Cross guys make it sound pretty addictive once you get the guts up to toe the starting line.

With the lack of racing in mind and inital thought behind getting a cross bike was as a winter trainer/light trails bike, should I sell and consider a long-reach steel road bike, like the Some Smoothie ES?

I have a Serotta Classique right now, which will go to a new home soon, as it is really a bit too small and I haven't been able to fully dial it in to my liking and because I just got a custom Ti frame that fits like a glove.

I recently started running 28s on the Classique and have really liked it for slower/longer rides. The new Ti won't take anything more than maybe a 25 or 26.

Anyway, if I sell the Scattante and Serotta and get a Smoothie ES or similar, could I race it as a cross bike should the bug bite me? Or would I be at a severe disadvantage due to restricted mud clearance?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Same problem here..

I've got a cross bike that I love.. IF steel planet cross.. I use it a lot for dirt road rides. It does okay for group rides, actually fine, but I like the road bike look.. So, I'm considering getting a steel road bike that can handle 28s for long road rides that if I see a dirt road, I can ck it out.. Yeah, I'm crazy! I don't want a club racer, but a road frame with some wider stays I guess..

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I am in the same position.

I bought a cross bike thinking it would be a great all rounder.
It is great on fire/dirt roads but not so good on the type of trails around here. It does fine on the road but not great. Good enough for the type riding I do.

I bought the cross bike because I thought I wanted to give it a shot. I still do but when I do any type of off road riding the bike takes a beating. I end up spending time away from the family just to keep it running the way I want for a road bike.

So now I am in the market for a road bike so I can ride a clean bike and not have to listen to a crunchy chain.

Keep the cross bike if you think you might want to ride/race it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.