Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It should start with a Cross-Prologue-1 lap of the course to determine starting positions for the next race. Also, one of the races should be completely Void of UCI rules and have multiple barriers, big climbs and a team relay.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Make each stage different. I can see the race preview write-up now....

"...and having Wednesday's mud day come right before the big run up day on Thursday should definitely help sort out the GC. Those who survive should have a chance to recover on Friday's flat "grass-crit" like stage."

·
Registered
274 Posts
argylesocks said:
wouldnt that be kinda fun?
5 days of 'cross races. take a week off from work just to race 'cross.....

You could do a 4 stage 'cross race in 2 days!

1 lap time trial. 'cross race. day 1

day two just go backwards on the same course with another 1 lap TT and another cx race.

I'd hit it!

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for real. how come this hasnt been done before?
this would be insanely coool.

(wheels turning in my head)

from experience, putting on ONE race is alot of work. i wonder if using the same venue for a 4day stage race would be do-able. hmm.

·
Registered
274 Posts
argylesocks said:
for real. how come this hasnt been done before?
this would be insanely coool.

(wheels turning in my head)

from experience, putting on ONE race is alot of work. i wonder if using the same venue for a 4day stage race would be do-able. hmm.
It has. I remember reading at pezcyclingnews.com about a 'cross stage race in france a couple years ago.

It was similar to what I posted above.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just go to belgium during the christmas season. 10 races in 12 days? Something like that? You can race every day for more than a week.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
wunlap togo said:
Just go to belgium during the christmas season. 10 races in 12 days? Something like that? You can race every day for more than a week.
And if I cared to do it, I could race B or SS then race the Masters race in a Seattle series race on Saturday then turn around and do the same thing in Portland the next day. I think I would be dead though ...

Last year, there was this guy that would often race as many races a day as he could. At one race, i noticed him in the SS race, the 35+ race and the 45+ race.

·
Registered
813 Posts
yeah might be fun, maybe after the season is over. it would have to be different that just 4 cross races in one weekend, cause as the above posters said, this can be done already.

I like the time trial idea over the course.

The "foot race" could be a 1 mile run over hills and sand with your bike on your shoulder at all times.

Then the typical cross race.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
jeremyb said:
yeah might be fun, maybe after the season is over. it would have to be different that just 4 cross races in one weekend, cause as the above posters said, this can be done already.

I like the time trial idea over the course.

The "foot race" could be a 1 mile run over hills and sand with your bike on your shoulder at all times.

Then the typical cross race.

That foot race can be the first part of a cx duathlon or triathlon... shouldered bike run, a ride, then??? hill climb?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gripped said:
And if I cared to do it, I could race B or SS then race the Masters race in a Seattle series race on Saturday then turn around and do the same thing in Portland the next day. I think I would be dead though ...
You could do 3 races in a row in an ECC race. SS at 11:30, B at 1:30, then A/master A at 2:30. You could also do C or master C in the early morning for a warmup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd like to see more marathon style point to point or 50-60k loop type events. The germans do a lot of mtb races in that format, and hope to do some this summer/fall, but I don't expect them to do it with 'cross. Of course, the miles and miles of fire-road type trails over here lend themselves well to that format.

·
Registered
813 Posts
45 min run would be too far....i think the run should be more cross specific ie shorter.

how about this:

two time trials on Saturday:
1st: 2x1.5 mile course
2nd: 14 mile point to point (or something of that nature)

Sunday:
Typical cross race
Cross run race

j

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Check this out.

FatTireFred said:
That foot race can be the first part of a cx duathlon or triathlon... shouldered bike run, a ride, then??? hill climb?
This race weekend conflicts with Chainbiter CX race here in CT. But, this race looks great (especially the crit through Story Land)

2 miles of Mt Washington Auto Road hill climb
Story Land Crit
Bust A$$ cross race

http://www.greatglentrails.com/porkygulch/index.html

·
Registered
507 Posts
Barrier Drag Race!

Timed event, flying start, give 'em plenty of run up area and enough distance to sprint out after the barriers. Be kind, make the first obstacle something nondestructive, a mulch heap or some such.
Or even better do elimination brackets. Something like a mountain bike streetcross or mountain cross race, but with barriers instead of jumps.

Count actual time in the overall or award time bonuses, or some combination.

Ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts