Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run cross time trials in their neck of the woods? If so, share the details. I would think this would be a great thing to do in late August and September. It would seem like a good way to get used to hard cross efforts, practice obstacles and tech skills at speed, and find out where you stack up against fellow racers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
crossbishop said:
Does anyone run cross time trials in their neck of the woods? If so, share the details. I would think this would be a great thing to do in late August and September. It would seem like a good way to get used to hard cross efforts, practice obstacles and tech skills at speed, and find out where you stack up against fellow racers.
Two years ago a bunch of fellow cxers used to do "handicapped" mock races. Say 6 turn up, 1 lap each to judge approx time, then slowest first followed by next fastest etc (at whatever time diff) This allowed the "rabbits" to go hard to stay away - and the faster ones extra incentive to catch. Do say 4 laps, breath, then repeat riding the course in reverse.
Good for an hours hard efforts.

My favourite event is: My old club put a few of these on, one pre season to try out your legs, one mid season to take a break from racing each w/end and one post season as a fairwell/charity do. (We raced from Sept - Feb btw)

Do 2 or 3 very short timed events with an even # of people (we averaged 40-60 per event)
1) Short hill climb
2) Obstacle course inc riding round cones etc (make it fun)
3) Short grass crit (say 1-2 mins)

Total times for each rider, fastest = #1 slowest = last (say #40)

THEN team fastest with slowest until all riders have a partner (#'s 19 & #20 will be partners etc) Then have a relay race, say 6 laps
The beauty is that even if your Sven Nys you are probably partenered with a 10 yr old child (great workout for budding Svens) and what a treat for a young un to be racing with a "hero" (well... even if you are a mid pack B racer - youre pretty swell in the eyes of a child)

We used a short length of wooden dowel with a # as a "baton". $5 for adults and free for kids gave enough $ for a few prizes for fastest lap or craziest baton exchange etc.

Good times

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Chip timing

crossbishop said:
I've always wanted to have chip timing available with lap splits. The technology works in tri's and for road races, just make sure you're timing at a location where the field is slow enough to register each crossing. It would be way informative to see just how badly you suffer in lap 6 versus lap 1. It costs ~$500 for timing at an event, but amortize that across a field of 100, personally,. I'd cough in ther extra 5spot for that data.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
pitt83 said:
I've always wanted to have chip timing available with lap splits. The technology works in tri's and for road races, just make sure you're timing at a location where the field is slow enough to register each crossing. It would be way informative to see just how badly you suffer in lap 6 versus lap 1. It costs ~$500 for timing at an event, but amortize that across a field of 100, personally,. I'd cough in ther extra 5spot for that data.
The Cross Crusade in Portland did chip timing last season. It cost $3 extra per race. The official results were all hand scored because the chips were unreliable in practice. It was pretty cool to see lap times and how each class stacked up with others. It made it easier to pick out sandbaggers for sure.

I don't know if they are going to do it this coming season or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chip Timers

Perhaps the riders can have them on their ankle and the timing point can be on a run up or dismount(?). DK

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
DavidK said:
Perhaps the riders can have them on their ankle and the timing point can be on a run up or dismount(?). DK
That's what the Cross Crusade did. Hand scoring was still necessary since the chips had "issues."

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I was talking to a guy at a running race that had a system that incorporated a strip into the paper number and used anteana on each side of the road to pick the finish, i wonder if that works better? The chips don't seem to work great where close finishes are involved. I'd love a system that worked well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts