Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put some bigger tires on my CX bike to ride off-road more (Northeast, some fireroad, mostly trails, some pretty gnarly). I'm looking for something closer to 40C (seems to be the biggest I could fit OK). Anyone have a tire they'd recommend for this?

Thanks!

· Registered
89 Posts
I've been using Conti Twisters(both offroad and road) for a while now and I really like them. Corners really well offroad and it's pretty fast on pavement. The front tire on my cross is sized as a 42(Conti sizing) but measured knob to knob is more like a 39. I don't race but I ride my cross offroad a lot and I highly recommend this tire.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
ritcheys

If you can find them ritchey mt cross pros are a good fat 37c. good enough on the road, great on loose stuff. reasonably light too. don't think they're in production anymore tho. I've heard the twisters are good too, probably easier to find.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
The widest I've ridden on was a 40c WTB All-Terrainasaurus, which was more like a 45c measured knob-to-knob. It is good on fire roads and loose surfaces where I want some flotation; I picture Northeastern singletrack as having lotsa roots and rocks, so I'm not sure how well this would work. These usually seem to be priced pretty reasonably, so you might want to give 'em a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.