Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted some Michelin Jets on my commuter - I'm running Salsa Delgado X rims. Do you have to use the larger 700 x 28-30 tubes, or can you get away with 700 x 18-23 road tubes? Thanks

·
Registered
813 Posts
fixintogo said:
I mounted some Michelin Jets on my commuter - I'm running Salsa Delgado X rims. Do you have to use the larger 700 x 28-30 tubes, or can you get away with 700 x 18-23 road tubes? Thanks

There was a poll on here awhile back i think, and it was split pretty much 50/50 in folks who used cross tubes and those who used road tubes. I typically use cross tubes, but have used road tubes in the past without any issue.

jeremyb

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe 'cross tubes are less susceptible to flatting than road tubes, especially pinch flats. A lighter rider using higher tire pressure may have less problems than if you tried to run low pressure. A side note - some people like to use sealant (stans, etc.) in their tubes. To run sealant you need a tube with a removable valve. I'm not aware of any 'cross size tubes with removable valves - I think you'd have to use a Conti road tube.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll run my road tubes 'til I run out of them and make the switch to crosses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fix-A-Flat

isospeed said:
I believe 'cross tubes are less susceptible to flatting than road tubes, especially pinch flats. A lighter rider using higher tire pressure may have less problems than if you tried to run low pressure. A side note - some people like to use sealant (stans, etc.) in their tubes. To run sealant you need a tube with a removable valve. I'm not aware of any 'cross size tubes with removable valves - I think you'd have to use a Conti road tube.
I have used Fix-A-Flat with a presta-to-schrader (or vice versa) nozzle to inflate MTB tires. Fix-A-Flat is a can of compressed air with latex (I think) sealant.

I have had some stange flats from using my rollers and I am planning to use this stuff to re-inflate the tubes. I will report later if and how it works.

David K

David K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts