Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a cyclocross bike for this year and thought about putting cross top levers on it. All the bikes in the LBS's have them, So do a lot of the ones I see pictures. I was riding my road bike yesterday and started fantasizing that I was doing some trail riding or going across a field and I just cant see myself wanting to grab on to the top of the bar. I don't even think I would want my stem upright. I have not ever raced cyclocross but I fell I have an idea of what position I would want to be in.

Anyone have any opinions?
Are these things of some use?

I can maybe see myself using them while dismounting, but not sure.

·
Registered
813 Posts
this is personal preference sort of thing, most "racers" wont use them, but i have found some times last year when i felt it would have been nice to have them (ie really sketchy steep downhills, where i wanted my weight back as far as possible)

my pit bike will have a pair of them on there and my race bike wont.

jeremy

·
Registered
165 Posts
i had them on my cross bike for a while. they were useful on long, long fireroad descents initially: i wouldn't tire of the extended breaking when breaking using the bar top levers. they can also be nice when riding some very technical terrain.

i ended up getting a shallow drop, short reach, non-ergo bar. this allowed me to ride more comfortably in the drops. over time i just got used to riding in the drops on more technical terrain (including those long fireroad descents). i ended up removing the bar top brake levers and haven't missed them once.

even when i had them installed, i never reached for them in a race - but some folks do race with them. i'm guessing you'll hear from one or more in this thread.

·
Registered
635 Posts
the bull said:
I am building up a cyclocross bike for this year and thought about putting cross top levers on it. All the bikes in the LBS's have them, So do a lot of the ones I see pictures. I was riding my road bike yesterday and started fantasizing that I was doing some trail riding or going across a field and I just cant see myself wanting to grab on to the top of the bar. I don't even think I would want my stem upright. I have not ever raced cyclocross but I fell I have an idea of what position I would want to be in.

I can maybe see myself using them while dismounting, but not sure.
This question is like asking advice on tubbies vs. clinchers or eggs vs Atac's. There will be numerous opinons on the subject. Me personally, I've had them for the last four years but find myself using them less & less. I'm actually taking them off for next season. I find that if i have them, I use them more (the brakes) instead of maintaining my speed through corners. This can really wear on you if you continuously brake-accellerate-brake-accell.... & so on. Plus, if you are braking from the hoods or drops, you can quickly get out of the saddle & accellerate if needed. I know its only a split second to move from the tops to the hoods coming out of a corner but a split second several times per lap adds up. However, for my commuter bike or riding in traffic i love them. Its all personal preference though.

DP

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I tried 'em once...

They're great if you're into riding wheelies. I could roost wheelies for days with those things on my cross bike. Never touched them in a race, so I took them off after a couple weeks of sweet wheelie riding. Now I use one on my TT bike's aero bars for motor pacing and twisty time trials. Sorry for the tiny pics...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I think they're the greatest single upgrade I've made to any of my bikes--they're great to have when I'm on the tops of the bars in traffic, on steep descents or on tight singletrack. I'd never take 'em off. I just can't figure out why I put them only on the aluminum-framed bikes, and not on any of the steel ones....

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have 1 bike with them and 1 without them. There was 1 race I really liked having them as there was a couple really steep down hills that needed you to be all the way back on the seat and still grab alot of brake to keep yourself in check. For all the other races they were never really needed just nice if I was riding the tops of the bars.

I would say not needed if racing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had them on my x-bike and never ever used them. Braking on the tops was a little scary. I did all types of riding and a few races. Hassle to install and a hassle to uninstall.
They seem like a great idea in theory. Dunno.

towerscum

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
the bull said:

My first season I didn't have any so I didn't ever use them. My second season, I bought a race bike that had them but I hardly used them. Last season, I put them on my pit bike and I used them quite a lot. I like them for:

* Training: I like to mess around on stuff to build technical skills and the top mounts allow me to scoot my butt back to make steeps less sketchy.
* Comuting: More upright position is nice in traffic.
* Racing: Some of our courses have some steeps that make having the top mounts nice. I felt that I was able to hit the hills more aggressively with the top mounts.

Racing, I'd say I ride the hoods 75% of the time and the rest of the time they are on the tops. They are more trouble to set up since you have to make an extra cable housing section -- and getting the length of the section between the brifter and the top mount correct is a bit of a pain.

Some folks like having a left side top mount only for the dismount.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn't realize how much I actually used them until I rode my road bike and found myself reaching for them. It was usually in traffic or squirmming around people on the bike trail. As for cross racing, I don't think I used them too much. When I set up my new race bike I will probably leave them off. If I was setting up a commuter/multi-purpose bike, I'd want them for sure.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
some like them some don't

question of preference. since my crossers see multi duty I use them and enjoy them. since we have a couple 'jungle cross' races they come in handy on the steeps.
They rule for commuting, also good for when I'm pulling the kid in the trailer.
Also I enjoy riding single track with them. Gives me flashbacks of the narrow bar era of MTB.
but then again I'm not a real hardman.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Run them if you want. I've had their intended purpose described as follows: use when braking right before a dismount during a race. In terms of using them for technical singletrack, that's personal preference. Once you've gained some comfort in the drops, the most technical steep sections are handled well in the drops. I've ridden some pretty hairy sections (where a mountain bike is the far saner choice) and you get a lot of control in the drop position. If you're riding with weight way back, hands in the drops with arms slightly bent, there's little that is too steep.

Riding on the tops for the same section seems like it would be harder. Sure your hands would be a bit higher but on a more narrow part of the bars. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, for me, I feel most comfortable in the drops when things get sketch. If you agree then skip the extra weight and complexity (& expense!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
top mounts

I like top mounts because you can get up on the tops on fast cruise sections of race courses and power over the top while staying quiet in the upper body. This permits a little cardio recovery and lets the blood back into your lats so that you are better able to jam hard on the more technical sections.

John

·
Registered
819 Posts
Have them on my Poprad (steel, btw). Don't use them much, but I ride more on road that not. On road I often wish they weren't there as they get in the way sometimes. I can't brake from the drops with my small hands, so probably better I have them for off-road.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm a mountain biker, so I tend to use the top mount brake levers more than most. I spend most of my races on top of my bars, not in the drops. (This also has to do with my bad back. Sitting up higher is just more comfy than being in the drops.)

It's a personal thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.