Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
New to biking-- just got my first road bike a few weeks ago and have loved riding it. Thing is, I purchased it hoping to use it as a new way to train for the upcoming college hockey season. Im wondering if anyone has good training programs, or at least general tips for how I can get the most out of biking. Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks Pretender : )

I would ask your coach, to be honest. If he is unfamiliar with cycling, I would suggest mirroring what kind of running workouts are recommended for hockey. I'm unfamiliar with hockey training (more endurance vs. intensity) and so the best thing I would suggest is either

1) just ride your bike a lot, varying intensity/duration/etc.

2) try to do SOMETHING every day that is relevant to hockey training and if that's a bike ride or run or plyometrics do whatever it is you do as hard as you can and make sure you recover and rest accordingly

For soccer training, I would do long long endurance rides on the bike (3 hours, tempo on climbs and endurance otherwise) and save all of my high intensity sprints/etc. for plyometrics and running to better emulate and practice the demands of the sport. Good mental break as well.

·
Opus was just napping
22,393 Posts
stohock said:
Guys,
New to biking-- just got my first road bike a few weeks ago and have loved riding it. Thing is, I purchased it hoping to use it as a new way to train for the upcoming college hockey season. Im wondering if anyone has good training programs, or at least general tips for how I can get the most out of biking. Thanks!
When I taught spinning the local minor league affiliate would frequent my classes...they were maniacs on a bike.

I am sure if you did some searching you would find some information on the types of workouts they do...I know Chelios and others credit their longevity and fitness to work outs that include forms of cycling, stationary and otherwise.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
cycle, and then cycle some more, rince repeat.

·
The Trollinator
728 Posts
Biking, swimming, and running are all good for cardio. They stress different muscles.

Whether those translate directly to hockey skills is dubious. I don’t see how biking makes you more able to handle a puck, but it might allow you to move about quite a bit longer at higher levels of effort.

As with any thread about how to get “better”, the answer is INTERVALS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ride with people faster than you and do intervals.

For instance, I just did a short ride tonight with a group of triathlon folks and over the 15 miles we paced about 1.5mph+ than I usually would. I just hammered it as hard as I could to stay with them the whole lap. It sucked, but it was also awesome and I know that if I keep doing that I will get faster.

As for intervals, they don't even have to be that structured to get a great benefit. Use the fartlek system (usually a running thing). Basically, you do some warmup and then on a ride mix up your efforts. Do some short sprints, do some medium length harder efforts, follow them with slower recoveries. Read this runners world article for more explanation: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/qa-how-do-i-do-fartlek/722.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.