Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hasn't been one of these treads yet this year... so here it goes.

Just read this on KFC's twitter.

The 1st place in the men's race gets ~$1000 more than the entire women's field.

I'm all for the men's race paying more spots in depth. But, I personally feel at a national level race they need to pay equal amounts per place.

Even if you aren't on that side of the fence... it's pretty hard to not find this disgusting.

http://tiny.cc/f2pr9

·
Registered
147 Posts
I saw this too and couldn't believe it. Katie could race the mens, place 10th and get paid more than winning the womens. $266 barely covers airfare. Who here thinks the mens race is 10x as entertaining than the women elites???

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've talked to the race promoter about it. They say they just couldn't come up with the money. I feel the pain there.... but if so many more races are are able to do it, one would think in Las Vegas... at Interbike.... something could be done.

They did say they were working on some kind of "Bonus" for the top 3 women overall to help with the difference.

All these events fall back on the UCI pay minimum as an excuse. That's what really has to change. I really don't think they fields have to pay as deep... but the money should be similar. Not even half the money for 1st... it's a joke.

We were going to attend, but a have limited budget (like everyone else!). We've chosen to support races/promoters who are making an effort to even the pay gap by attending those events whenever possible. It's an "if you build it, they will come" situation.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I organize some races and really struggle with the payout for men versus women. My personal opinion is that it should be X number of $ per entry. Typical numbers for us in BC is 100 men and 20 women so the prize payout for men should be 5 times more per position. But we have a minimum payout as long as the minimum registration is reached. So we can have 100 men and only 10 women with equal payout for the top 5 positions.

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
Alas, field sizes play a large role in this.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Todd_H said:
I saw this too and couldn't believe it. Katie could race the mens, place 10th and get paid more than winning the womens. $266 barely covers airfare. Who here thinks the mens race is 10x as entertaining than the women elites???

I do!
There are about 5 women that have ANY shot at winning the race.
In the men, there are 25 or so.

Sure, it's not equitable, but then again, no one is showing up to see some Cat2 woman from Fresno get lapped twice.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Actually in this case field size has little to do with it for this event. I spoke with the organizer and they stated it was only because of sponsorship dollars not being there for the women's race. They are expecting a large women's field. Race entry fees do not contribute to the prize money for most UCI CX events in the USA. A bit self fulfilling.... you give out pi$$ poor prize money because of small fields... no one will show up.

The races around the country that have stepped up and found the sponsorship money for decent women's purses have been rewarded with great turnouts. The Madison race did this even before they became part of the USGP. If the field is smaller, they shouldn't pay as deep. But there is no reason the 1st place money shouldn't be the same.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backinthesaddle said:
I do!
There are about 5 women that have ANY shot at winning the race.
In the men, there are 25 or so.

Sure, it's not equitable, but then again, no one is showing up to see some Cat2 woman from Fresno get lapped twice.

You honestly think there are 25 people who could win in the men's race? That's laughable. maybe 10... prolly closer to 7.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Corndog said:
You honestly think there are 25 people who could win in the men's race? That's laughable. maybe 10... prolly closer to 7.
At Vegas...yep...
A lot of roadies who are extremely fit show up and the course is a little more roadie-ish...

And the field is huge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it is probably not PC to say this but the men's race will be at least 10x as exciting as the women's race. But if there was no women's race the crowd would still be there. If there was no men's race the place would be empty..... I am not saying the girls don't train as hard and don't deserve as much but we want to see the fastest in the world...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more mud said:
am not saying the girls don't train as hard and don't deserve as much but we want to see the fastest in the world...
Well, then you shouldn't be watching the men's race. There will be maybe one or two people there how could get into the top 10 in a World Cup (assuming only US/Canadian guys are there). If you watch the women's race, you will see arguably the fastest in the world and some others that are right in there as well (depending on who shows up). Maybe it isn't as fun to see someone totally crush the women's field, but it is just as impressive.

The men's race will be fun as well, I'm not saying otherwise or detracting from their talent. But to make the argument that you want to see the "fastest in the world" is nonsensical.

It would be sweet if Katie did the men's race.... placed high enough in the money to get more than she would for winning the women's event, then take the check and throw it in the face of the promoter :D At least it would get some good media coverage for Georgia and her work to get even pay per place. Of course, she won't and women will still show up, despite the pay discrepancy because this is a C1 event and has as good of point distribution as any domestic race.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Here's the thing: Katie is allowed to try that isn't she? Isn't the "men's" race really the "open" race available to all who can otherwise qualify, regardless of gender? (I would assume that by law this would have to be true in the usa and in europe as well).

As long as that is true, then the prize money available to women is actually more than is available to men (since they aren't allowed in the women's races). And I see no legitimacy to the argument that women's prize money "must" be increased. After all, women are free to either race in the top class that pays the most or go ahead and organize their own exclusive racing series that excludes all the fastest riders, and then try to find someone to pay them as much as they can find. Surely in this day and age women aren't arguing that they need men's help in doing this, are they?

·
Registered
58 Posts
First off, there is no way katie would finish in the top 10 or even the top 30. Don't fool yourselves she is fast (for a woman) but its a whole didn't speed in the mens. I would say she would be luck to not get lapped. I am pretty tired of this egaul prize money pay out bullshit, if you want change do something about it. Quit *****ing and race the races that do and not the races that don't easy as that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
She might indeed get lapped, but probably on the last lap of the race. I remembered a thing about lap times in Cyclocross magazine so I went and looked and at the 2008 World's, she set fastest lap in the women's race at 6:43. In the mens' race, Albert set fastest lap at 6:02.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts