Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking at getting my first cross bike and pretty much have it narrowed down to the Crosshairs and Doublecross. I will primarily use it for training and commuting, but when cross season gets here I would like to give that a shot too. I know the Doublecross costs less than the Crosshairs, but curious what other comparisons can be made.

The other question I have is on how to build it up. I have seen many example of cross builds that use primarily use a road group, but have a mtn derailleur. Is that just to take advantage of the beefier design of a mtn component? Assuming I go this route I am thinking 105 w/an XT rear der. For wheels Mavic Open Pros haved served me well on my road bikes, so I'll probably use them again.

Any other thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks - Vick

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Vick said:
The other question I have is on how to build it up. I have seen many example of cross builds that use primarily use a road group, but have a mtn derailleur. Is that just to take advantage of the beefier design of a mtn component?
it's a gear ratio rather than a durability issue. shimano only approves their road derailleurs up to a 27t cog so people tend to use mountain derailleurs when they want to use lower ratio cassettes. having said that, road derailleurs do usually work with larger cogs than 27.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I can't comment on the frames, i'd look especially the geometry and other little issues like eyelets for your fenders and such.

In term of the components, a road group will give you excellent service. Unless you intend to use a huge read cogset, there is no advantage to the long cage and perhaps it will cause you more dropped chains in the end. A straight 105 setup is really a pretty nice option these days, it's quite well constructed.

Your idea on the wheels is very good, perhaps the one area to upgrade to better equipment is the hubs, perhaps an ultegra will hold up better in the wet conditions, but 105now is really better than the dura ace we rode 10 years ago.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Vick said:
Hi all, looking at getting my first cross bike and pretty much have it narrowed down to the Crosshairs and Doublecross. I will primarily use it for training and commuting, but when cross season gets here I would like to give that a shot too. I know the Doublecross costs less than the Crosshairs, but curious what other comparisons can be made.

The other question I have is on how to build it up. I have seen many example of cross builds that use primarily use a road group, but have a mtn derailleur. Is that just to take advantage of the beefier design of a mtn component? Assuming I go this route I am thinking 105 w/an XT rear der. For wheels Mavic Open Pros haved served me well on my road bikes, so I'll probably use them again.

Any other thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks - Vick
Buildup depends on whatcher doing with the bike... Racing? Road parts. If you ride it like I do: off-road with some races thrown in, off-road parts.

I've got a Crosshairs with all XTR (as soon as I install the f.der I got thru the generosity of a fellow 'crosser here!) Plusses: MANY choices of rings for the XTR cranks with the addition of an aftermarket spider. Durable. Nifty grey finish. Mmmmmmmm. I don't have any pics of it at the moment, but if y'all are interested, I can take some. Its the light green metallic with black lettering. Purty.

As a side note: it rides so nice I'm tempted to sell my S-Works road bike and build another pair of wheels for the road.

M

·
Registered
492 Posts
Vick said:
The Doudlecross is made in Asia the Crosshairs is from Wisconsin. I'd bet it weighs less too but haven't seen any published weights.

·
Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
hairscrambled said:
The Doudlecross is made in Asia the Crosshairs is from Wisconsin. I'd bet it weighs less too but haven't seen any published weights.
Gunnar's site lists a 56cm Crosshairs at 4.1 lbs.

Soma's site lists a 54cm Doublecross at 4.2 lbs.

These are manufacturer weights so take it with a grain of salt. IMO, the Crosshairs is the much nicer frame which is why it costs more (as well as its US origin).

You can make your own comparisons regarding geometry as well:

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/crosshairs.php

http://www.somafab.com/frames.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for all the info guys. Right now I am leaning toward the Crosshairs, but I am still gathering info. There is a similar discussion I pitched into on the "What bike to buy" topic that has provided some good feedback as well.

Interesting info on the usage of the mtn derailleur. I'll have to think about that as I don't know that I'll ever need to go beyond 27t on the cassette. For my purposes (training, commuting, light racing) I anticipate that double on the front (teeth TBD) and 12-27 on the back will work well. So with that in mind I am inclined to go with a full 105 build.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doublecross is an excellant frame

I picked up a double cross last year. Price was a factor, third bike thing. I'm very happy with ride. I put on some 700x28 Vittorios and did 350 mile pannier bike tour down Norcal coast with it last fall. The bike corners really well, even with panniers!! Then rode Grizzley Century on it with 10k feet of climbing. Now I've thrown some Maxxis Locust 700x35's on it and have'in fun crusin' the singletrack. Have to say it's my favorite bike over Lemond carbon Zurich and Titus motolite.:cool:
I built it with 105 shifters and FD, XT rear derail, XT hubs w/Dyad rims, Race Face Turbine cranks. Here's a shot of us in Redwoods on tour.

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
one thing to consider is the fork options. crosshair uses a weird 383mm axle to crown fork. most cross forks on the market are ~400mm.

the doublecross is designed for a ~400mm axle to crown fork, and takes a slightly bigger tire (38c vs 35c, both with fenders).

·
Cyclocross is Seasonal?
711 Posts
While it's true that the Gunnar specs a shorter fork (383mm), you can run a longer fork (like an Alpha Q) with no real noticeable difference in handling. The Gunnar steel fork is sweet and reasonably priced, so if you don't have to have carbon I don't think it matters. I'm running an Alpha Q on my 05 crosshairs and my 99 crosshairs and it works just fine.

The reason Gunnar went to to shorter fork was to deal with fork chatter under hard braking. The short fork doesn't chatter. I like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.