Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there a some people on here that have crossed their derailleur cables at the head tube in order to keep them from rubbing on the head tube. Obviously, they have to cross on the back side of the downtube. Where they cross, they will be touching and rubbing on each other. Is there any concern with premature wear from the friction of rubbing back and forth?

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you get higher end cables with the plastic coating, that will wear through. And of course the guides have to be positioned low enough so that the cables don't rub the frame. I did this on my Cervelo, worked great.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
I know that there a some people on here that have crossed their derailleur cables at the head tube in order to keep them from rubbing on the head tube. Obviously, they have to cross on the back side of the downtube. Where they cross, they will be touching and rubbing on each other. Is there any concern with premature wear from the friction of rubbing back and forth?
My cables have been crossed for 14 years and about 130,000 miles. No noticeable wear on the cables to date (cables replaced every 30-40K miles).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.