Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know that the description at CRUD's website says 25mm is the max. But being the max, is that pushing boundaries? Or are the fenders still pretty clear of the tire? The thought of getting these fenders has been lingering in my mind.

Has anyone run such a setup to share their experience?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ran over the winter months on a Litespeed Ultimate with 700c/25 tires. By design it is a tight fit. I have curved seat stays so the rear fender did rub even with maximum adjustment. That being said, I will put a small spacer at the stay to correct the rubbing issue. These are fenders are designed to hug the tires. I think it depends on your application.

For the money, this is a well designed set of fenders for todays road bikes. I like them better than the SKS blades.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cpcritter said:
I ran over the winter months on a Litespeed Ultimate with 700c/25 tires. By design it is a tight fit. I have curved seat stays so the rear fender did rub even with maximum adjustment. That being said, I will put a small spacer at the stay to correct the rubbing issue. These are fenders are designed to hug the tires. I think it depends on your application.

For the money, this is a well designed set of fenders for todays road bikes. I like them better than the SKS blades.
Thanks for pointing out the seat stays. I actually overlooked how that would affect things. Guess I'm lucky to have relatively straight stays. But the front fender worked flawlessly?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a set of these on my '08 Specialized Roubaix Elite and the front fender would not fit with a 700 x 25 Continental 4000. Not sure that it makes a difference, but I have Campy brakes on it. I put a Conti Grand Prix 700 x 24 on the front and it fit fine.

These are great fenders - still running them on an old GT Edge that i set up as my rain bike.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Had these on my road bike for a while, the biggest issue is caliper/tire clearance. I had a 24c vittoria on my rear and a 23c gp4k up front. The front never even hinted at contact, but the rear needed constant attention to ensure it wouldn't rub. Rubbed the rear one super thin and it actually cracked. It's still functional with some tape holding it together, but now I only run them if I positively have to. Easy to recommend them though, I'd buy them again and just keep a 23c tire in the rear.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I am thinking about ordering some Crud fenders for my Merckx Corsa. I've got some SKS RaceBlades but they can be a pain to adjust so they won't rub. The SKS fenders also stop short of the brake calibers so they don't keep your bike real clean, one of the main advantages of having fenders. The Cruds run under the brake calipers, so I'm assuming they will keep the bike much cleaner.

·
Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
CRUD fenders, 06 Orbea Onix. 25C Vittoria Rubino Pro were very tight and I could not get rid of rub. I had some 23C Zaffiro Pro that fit much better. I used those this spring and kept them as "springtime" tires for the future. Spring time in NE is the only time I use the fenders. Also needed to grind down the rear fender a bit were it goes under the brake caliper on the rear. That's will vary bike to bike .

Got them on PBK really cheap. Something like $20USD in the end. Good value. BTW if you need any help with them be sure to contact the UK site NOT the USA one. See http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=199968 for how I found the Great UK Pete after having to deal with the less than stellar US Pete.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
longhorn31 said:
I had a set of these on my '08 Specialized Roubaix Elite and the front fender would not fit with a 700 x 25 Continental 4000. Not sure that it makes a difference, but I have Campy brakes on it. I put a Conti Grand Prix 700 x 24 on the front and it fit fine.

These are great fenders - still running them on an old GT Edge that i set up as my rain bike.
Post stands out to me as I'm running a 25 GP4000 myself and don't plan on changing them out either. Yeow. I also don't know the difference, but I'm running 105 brakes.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll post a few pics tonight or tomorrow for judgement to see if there looks to be decent clearance.

Edit: I'm so pro-active. :prrr:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, I have the Crud Road Racer MK2 fenders on a 2013 Trek Domane 5.2 with 25mm Bontrager tires. Since this bike is designed to take fenders there's plenty of clearance. I was even able to use the factory mounting points on the rear. The screw in fender eyelets fit almost perfectly into the struts, I had to cut one of the notch a bit deeper on one of the struts and I had to drill a hole in the fender for the bolt in between the chain stays. I wish the struts were long enough for the fork factory mounting points. I really don't like the look of other fenders, especially the ones that have the ends of the wire struts sticking up past the fender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.