Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Fri' I was riding thru the Toronto Islands (a VERY popular tourist destination) & saw that the rental bikes were mostly of the "cruiser" style. Looking @ the handlebar design & placement I was wondering if this would cause wrist problems? I know these folks wouldn't be riding for hours, but I imagine there are some folks that have 1 as their daily bike.

Any comments?

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
On Fri' I was riding thru the Toronto Islands (a VERY popular tourist destination) & saw that the rental bikes were mostly of the "cruiser" style. Looking @ the handlebar design & placement I was wondering if this would cause wrist problems? I know these folks wouldn't be riding for hours, but I imagine there are some folks that have 1 as their daily bike.

Any comments?
I'd guess riding a few minutes on one would be ok. The time I rented one of those cruiser bikes on the outer banks of NC, I was so uncomfortable I could barely ride the damn thing. The saddle was way too wide and the handle bars stuck way out. I wanted to hold the bars next to the stem, but it was way too low. The only way to ride was sitting straight up with arms out, like a monkey. I couldn't steady myself on the handlebars when pushing down on the pedals.

A hybrid with flat handlebars at saddle height is what most choose for a daily bike, unless they get a drop handlebar "gravel bike" or similar. These are much easier to control when pedaling hard, let's put it that way. :D

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Not sure about wrist problems, but likely pulled muscles anytime you heave the sucker! :cryin:
Rode a cruiser rental a couple weeks ago at the beach. We went about 15 miles over the course of a couple hours - with frequent stops - and suffered more discomfort in the butt than the wrists. You mostly just ride slow and take in the scenery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not on the handlebars.

How was Toronto Island?
Good, it's a great way to beat the heat in the city. I had ridden the Waterfront Trail west from the Guildwood station.

Thanks for the comments guys. Years ago a co-worker who isn't a cyclist said he had bought 1 for his wife (she asked for it). He said it was horrible to try to ride, but didn't get into details.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Tourists aren't cyclists... for the most part. They probably won't ride more than a mile or two, and sitting upright with a better field of vision is more important than pedalling efficiency or speed. They are tourists, and not familiar with the road/paths that they will be riding on so sitting up with a good view is important.

They are more comfortable sitting like they are in a chair, than in a race position. It's most likely closer to the setup of the bike they learned to ride on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.