Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with Carlos Sastre this year?

He's still with CSC through 2008.. Have he even ridden in any events?

Is he their man for the TdF?

What about the Schleck boys? CSC is holding them out for the TdF also?

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Forget Sastre. Andy Schleck is the man for them I guess given his Giro performance last year. But, I wonder how his TT stacks up though.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
uzziefly said:
Forget Sastre. Andy Schleck is the man for them I guess given his Giro performance last year. But, I wonder how his TT stacks up though.
Naa. Sastre has a proven GC record. Sastre should be their leader this year unless he can't hold the wheels of Andy come mountain climbing time.

King of the Mountains and 8th Overall, Vuelta a España

20th Overall, Tour de France

10th Overall, Tour de France

Stage 13 win and 9th Overall, Tour de France

8th Overall, Tour de France
6th Overall, Vuelta a España

21st Overall, Tour de France
2nd Overall, Vuelta a España

3rd Overall, Tour de France
43rd Overall, Giro d'Italia
4th Overall, Vuelta a España
Gold jersey (general classification) leader (after Prologue TTT)
White jersey (combination classification) leader (after Stages 8-16)

4th Overall, Tour de France
2nd Overall, Vuelta a España
That's a hell of a record for a cyclist. He's 33 now and should be able to pull it together for another year or two.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Naa. Sastre has a proven GC record. Sastre should be their leader this year unless he can't hold the wheels of Andy come mountain climbing time.

That's a hell of a record for a cyclist. He's 33 now and should be able to pull it together for another year or two.
Very true actually. I didn't remember he could TT well though. Was that Pereiro instead?

Oh, what's the combined classification leader (white) at the Vuelta for? As in, yeah...

· Registered
663 Posts
bas said:
What's up with Carlos Sastre this year?

He's still with CSC through 2008.. Have he even ridden in any events?

Is he their man for the TdF?

What about the Schleck boys? CSC is holding them out for the TdF also?
Both Schlecks were flying at Liege-Bastogne-Liege this year. Add the Schlecks to Sastre and you've got a pretty potent three-pronged attack for the Tour. Perhaps the only downside of having three very classy grand tour riders is establishing a pecking order – too many chiefs and not enough Indians…maybe.
And don't forget, you've got the two beasts (Cancellara and Voigt) to pull on the flats. That's one helluva Tour lineup.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
gizzard said:
Both Schlecks were flying at Liege-Bastogne-Liege this year. Add the Schlecks to Sastre and you've got a pretty potent three-pronged attack for the Tour. Perhaps the only downside of having three very classy grand tour riders is establishing a pecking order – too many chiefs and not enough Indians…maybe.
And don't forget, you've got the two beasts (Cancellara and Voigt) to pull on the flats. That's one helluva Tour lineup.

Frank can't TT well so he's not gonna be an overall contender perhaps. Andy might be the back up just in case.

Voigt is not in the squad yet but I hope he makes it.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
uzziefly said:
Frank can't TT well so he's not gonna be an overall contender perhaps. Andy might be the back up just in case.

Voigt is not in the squad yet but I hope he makes it.
Of course he will. Voigt in a long breakaway during July has become a staple of racing in modern times. The stage win yesterday still shows he's got what it takes too.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Of course he will. Voigt in a long breakaway during July has become a staple of racing in modern times. The stage win yesterday still shows he's got what it takes too.
Yeah I really want him to ride the Tour. He's definitely an invaluable asset for them.

How did Andy Schleck get 2nd at the Giro last year? Good climbing with ok TT-ing?

· Registered
344 Posts
A. Schleck is ok at TT. I have heard that Sastre has put in some serious work on the TT bike in the off season. Also that Frank is going to be serious about the GC this year.

Cancellara is king. that is al. oh wait. also i wonder who the sponsor will be next year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.