Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I wrong, or would today (Stage 9) have been a good stage to send one of their three big guns off the front at some point?

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Would have made for some great TV, but I don't think it would have accomplished much. It was clear to me that Caisse D'epargne wasn't going to let anything happen. I think, as the commentators have stated, that the teams are waiting for tomorrow. At least I hope we will see some attacks from the big players tomorrow. Otherwise it could make for a fairly boring tour in terms of the yellow.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, but if you don't make the Caisse guys work, how can you tire them out?

The thing about waiting for tomorrow is that today the big three are all threats. After tomorrow, you can't be sure any of them will be. Seems like there might be some benefit to going into tomorrow with a good chance of having Valverde isolated or more isolated on the Hautacam.

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Their tactics for the GC have been to fly under the radar.
I expect to see them do something tomorrow however.
Four possibilities in loosing a few palces on the GC after tomorrow are:
1) Kim Kirchen. Still not convinced he's a GC guy.
2) Alejandro Valverde. Looked like he was struggling today.
3) Cadel Evans. Probably because he'll be feeling the after effects of his fall today.
4) Christian Vande Velde.

Here are some guys I see doing well tomorrow.
1) Oscar Pereiro
2) Ricardo Ricco + Leonardo Piepoli
3) Denis Menchov
4) The three Saxo Bankers
5) Damiano Cunego

· Registered
5,671 Posts
have you looked at the details of stage 10? That's the day to try to effect GC, not today's stage. At just 156km, the second half with the climb of Tourmalet is the place to start sending attacks to shake up GC. With the downhill finish today, no GC threat was going to stay away. The most vulnerable person tomorrow will be Evans, who will have to cover the attacks without a lot of team support.

It could be a good day for Pereiro, who has been riding strong. The team could send him out on Tourmalet and he could see it as a day to be an overall podium contender.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
stevesbike said:
It could be a good day for Pereiro, who has been riding strong. The team could send him out on Tourmalet and he could see it as a day to be an overall podium contender.
With his history from 2 years ago, I don't think they will let him go to far.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
hmmm lets see

Sastre in the hunt, 1 week over and no burnt matches
sounds like good strategy to me
why waste any energy when it does little good?

Caisse gonna burn out as will Columbia, too much effort, too early
Columbia has 2 stages and a week with 3 of 4 jerseys
CdE has 2 stages
so all was not for nothing

· Registered
964 Posts
Usually by this time in the tour we've seen a prologue and a bunch of sprinters duals.

The prologue is usually too short to screw up and everyone gets the same time on the sprinters stages.

With the time trial and some mid mountains, we've all been witness to some sifting out of the GC. Like others have said I believe this week has been about who can do the least rather than who can do the most.

In that case I think CSC has is sitting pretty.

· Registered
650 Posts
funktekk said:
Usually by this time in the tour we've seen a prologue and a bunch of sprinters duals.

The prologue is usually too short to screw up and everyone gets the same time on the sprinters stages.

With the time trial and some mid mountains, we've all been witness to some sifting out of the GC. Like others have said I believe this week has been about who can do the least rather than who can do the most.

In that case I think CSC has is sitting pretty.
i agree they are looking ominous, three strong well rested gc threats to work over evans, valv cunego and the gerkin.will be a good dual today

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.