Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone turn me on to a cyclist friendly route into Manhattan from CT. I live in Norwalk, CT and work in Midtown and want to ride in on a couple Fridays this summer.
Maps don't show what roads are rider friendly so I'm reaching out for sugggestions/recommmendations. Thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I-95?

Seriously, the Post Road is probably your best bet.

Not terribly friendly in Stamford or the Bronx though. You could live with it in Stamford, depending on what time you hit it, but the Bronx is tougher. Your best bet is to get to Manhattan as soon as possible because there are MUTs on both the Hudson (the whole way) and the East River (most of the way). You should be able to figure it out with Mapquest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Depending where you work in midtown - a good route could be once you get into south Bronx (I have no clue about that but suspect the Boston Post Road is the best bet per Dumbod's suggestion), go across 138th Street in Bx to 138th Street bridge, which feeds you into 5th Ave. in the 140's. You can head straight down 5th into midtown, or cross one block further west to Martin Luther King Blvd., which is a split two-laner like Park Avenue, take that down to approx 110th Street where you hit the north end of Central Park, and then take the park drive down to midtown.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I remember riding from the CT shore (New London) to NYC in a day back in 2004. We followed Boston Post Road most of the way and eventually found a bike path near Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. Maybe it was the Mosholu Pelham Greenway. Also, here's a route from Greenwich Township to Midtown. http://www.nycc.org/rl_db/ride.aspx?id=183

·
Registered
386 Posts
First of all, I've got to nitpick. There is no such thing as Greenwich Township. It's the Town of Greenwich. Townships are a NJ thing.

Second, if you're going to bike to work, you've got to balance scenery and congestion versus directness. For example, I never ride on Rt 1 through Norwalk; I always ride through SONO and Rowayton. It's nicer and there's less traffic. The only problem is that it probably adds 5 miles to my route. That's fine on the weekends but I assume (1) that you have to get to work at a reasonable hour and (2) you don't want to get up at 4:00am.

The Post Road is better once you get into New York State but it will still have a fair amount of traffic. It's the route I'd take if I had to get to Manhattan by a given time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.