Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in general discussion about this but wasn't sure if this was a better spot.

Using a Garmin Edge 705 now and I upload to SportTracks. The fitness measurement plugin I found will measure CTL, ATL, TSB, and TRIMP and chart all this out for me. Anyone able to shed some light on how I can use these figured to help improve my training?

Maybe a cycling specific article or something?

I like looking at the data so charting these kind of things is fun. Plus if I can get some benefit out of it all the better.

Thanks!

G

·
And for several of those metrics but not all you would need a powermeter to go with the 705. I'll second the google wattage forum there is more info on that there than you will probably want.

G

·
Andrea138 said:
Congrats! You've been nominated for understatement of the week! :thumbsup: :D
That is probably true, some people get down in the weeds, they tend to get down around the roots of those weeds.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The wattage forum will certainly be a good place to go for info.

It sounds as if the Garmin calculates a TSS score based on TRIMPS in the absence of a powermeter. I think the TRIMPS value is based in heartrate, so asking about it in Wattage may be a little off topic.

I'd get the book "Training and Racing with a Powermeter" for an official explanation.

Over simplifying:

All those acronyms are based on weighted averages of TSS(Training Stress Score)/day either long term or short term with different decay rates.

Training Stress Score is based on the wattages produced during a ride and your Functional Threshold Power in watts.You may have to estimate this in Sport Tracks to use the calculated values.

ATL is Acute Training Load in TSS/day - what youv'e done recently.

CTL is Chronic Training Load in TSS/day - what you've been doing over a longer time period up to now.

TSB is Training Stress Balance - the difference between what you've been doing recently and what you've been doing over time. A negative TSB means that you are doing more work recently compared to what you are used to doing. A positive TSB means the opposite.

Some people used TSB to plan peaks. (Positve TSB, CTL high as possible), or plan recovery to reduce fatigue. (very Negative TSB)

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plugin I'm using does all this off of TRIMP I'm guessing.
I've love to get a power meter eventually but it's not a priority since I don't race or anything.

I'd simply like to us they values and any info I can get to somehow show my progress.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was a great explanation! Thanks! now I know a little more!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts