Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've bought a Cube Analog Disc 2012 last year. Now I want to replace and upgrade some parts. I don't really understand bike components on a decent level, so I seek your advice. Here are the parts that I want to replace:

1. 9-speed crankset Shimano FC-M430 44x32x22T, 175mm.

I scratched it pretty badly, that's why I want to replace it. I have nothing against a similar model, but, maybe, I can replace it with something more lightweight?

I wonder if Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset 175mm - 22.32.44t - 68/73mm - Black will fit: Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

2. BB-UN26 bottom bracket.

It emits a chirring noise... I want something silent.

3. Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres, 26 x 2.25.

These are too thin, I already had some punctures in the past. I would want something similar, but more protected.

4. Scape Active 8 saddle.

I would want something softer. This saddle is a real pain in the butt.

5. Mudguards.

SKS Velo 65 Mountain set doesn't fit - there is no hole in the front fork; front SKS Shockboard doesn't fit - cables in front of the fork get in the way. I wonder if any mudguards can fit this bike at all.

I will be glad to hear any recommendations.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The crank swap is fine, they are both mountain bike cranks and you won't need the bottom bracket in point 2 as the Deore will come with the outside bearings.

Can't help with tires, as I don't ride 26" anymore but a search in these forums might help. What are you mainly using this bike for helps determine what tires you need. If it is commuting, no dirt, then Big Apples may be right. If mountain biking then different path to take.

Saddles are always a personal preference. Softer is not necessarily better. Stock seats usually suck as it is a way to keep costs down on a new bike. I have a preference for Specialized saddles and I have 3 Avatars on different bikes. I also own 2 Brooks but I love the Avatar. I got the wide one to fit better on longer commutes. You just have to bite the bullet and try some and hopefully they will work for you.

Fenders are another story. The rear is no problem, the front as you have figured out can be. You could always use a splash guard on the down tube. Though I can't understand why the Shockboard won't fit. Move the cable to make it fit.

Since this forum is more road oriented you might try the sister site Mountain Bike Review ? Best, Bicycle, MTB, Bike Parts, For Sale for suggestions to all your questions.

My other question is, is this a commuting bike or your mountain bike or both? If it is a commuting bike, it may not be the best choice for a commuter. It helps to know what you are using this bike for before giving advice on things like tire selection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blakcloud, thanks for replying!

Deore will come with the outside bearings
As far as I understand, outside bearings = bottom bracket?

I have a preference for Specialized saddles and I have 3 Avatars on different bikes. I also own 2 Brooks but I love the Avatar.
OK, I'll look into them!

Since this forum is more road oriented you might try the sister site
Yep, I've already asked for advice there too.

My other question is, is this a commuting bike or your mountain bike or both? If it is a commuting bike, it may not be the best choice for a commuter.
I don't really use it for commuting. I just ride in the city and in parks. I live in Moscow and it's impossible to use a road bike here, that's why I ride on a cross-country in the city. I took a photo today, here's how a typical Moscow street can look like: https://i.imgur.com/FPVVsZI.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.