Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My office is relocating. Currently, I simply park my bike behind me in my cubicle. My new office has a bigger desk area that comprises a U shape. I'm looking for a bike hook that is like an over the door type hook where I can hang my commuter bike on my cubicle entrance wall. So far I haven't found anything that I can put over a cubicle wall like you see over the door hooks for jackets and towels. Any one know if something like what I'm thinking even exists or is this an opportunity to ghetto rig something up with duct tape?

Thanks

GT
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
Good question- I'm lucky in that someone in my office is always in the field at least one day a week (or on vacation), leaving me their cube to use for bike parking. Seriously. :D

(we have tiny cubes that won't fit a bike and a person)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,392 Posts
There should be no reason why you couldn't go to the hardware store and buy a length of threaded or non-threaded rod. Bend the rod to hook over your cubicle wall and accommodate your bike's wheel.

If you don't want to bend the rod, I see no reason why you couldn't cobble something together with some material from the same display where the threaded rod is found. There's usually right angle and flat stock found there, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter P. said:
There should be no reason why you couldn't go to the hardware store and buy a length of threaded or non-threaded rod. Bend the rod to hook over your cubicle wall and accommodate your bike's wheel.

If you don't want to bend the rod, I see no reason why you couldn't cobble something together with some material from the same display where the threaded rod is found. There's usually right angle and flat stock found there, too.
Guess a bike specific cubicle hook doesn't exist. Maybe I can be the one to market one. Group buy anyone? :)

GT
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,602 Posts
why's it have to be in your cubicle? is there a storage area or a basement hallway out of the way somewhere?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Creakyknees said:
why's it have to be in your cubicle? is there a storage area or a basement hallway out of the way somewhere?
Cause there's plenty of people in the office ready to play practical jokes on me and I would rather not have my bike vulnerable. Guess I should have thought about the consequences before putting post its under people's optical mice for April fool's last year. :)

GT
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
gtran1502 said:
. Guess I should have thought about the consequences before putting post its under people's optical mice for April fool's last year. :)

GT


Excellent idea- thank you :D
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
I found this a number of years ago and actually did it at my last job. Works really good

http://berserk.org/cbr/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,392 Posts
Another alternative would depend on the type of ceiling above your cubicle.

If it's a dropped ceiling, with a grid of ceiling tiles, pop the tiles and see what's up there. If there's a sturdy beam up there, you might be able to secure a cable to it and run it through a small hole in the correct tile, then attach a hook for your front wheel.

Don't ask permisssion to do it, just forgiveness afterwards...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
My last storage area had a dropped ceiling. I popped the corners up on a couple of tiles and zip tied a 2x4 (6" long) to them. Had a bike hook in the 2x4. Hung bike from that. Bike is not that heavy. Just zip tie right at a connection to the rafter and you will have no problems. Upper-level folks may be another story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
I made one for my cube years ago by bending some flat metal stock and it worked quite well.
Another option besides threaded rod would be PVC. Easy to work with and wouldn't scratch the bike.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top