Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I flew from Fresno to Des Moines for work. What a shock. Got off the plane in the sort of medium size airport, and after about a minute it hit me. Every single person in the place was white as they could be. No blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Greeks, Arabs -- nothing. They all looked like they came straight off the Waltons set. Not even anyone in the service and retail shops, either. This continued beyond the airport, including the hotel, Best Buy, and downtown where I had to go for a deposition. The only change was maybe a slight representation of 1% minorities over all. It was weird, because Fresno is only 40% white/non-Hispanic, plus a whole lot of HIspanic, Asian, Arab, and black. I guess you get used to something and everything else seems weird. NTTAWWT.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yep. That's AMERICA g#ddammit. The way it should be.:rolleyes: (Of course, I hope you know that I'm NOT SERIOUS)

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Fixed said:
Sunday I flew from Fresno to Des Moines for work. What a shock. Got off the plane in the sort of medium size airport, and after about a minute it hit me. Every single person in the place was white as they could be. No blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Greeks, Arabs -- nothing. They all looked like they came straight off the Waltons set. Not even anyone in the service and retail shops, either. This continued beyond the airport, including the hotel, Best Buy, and downtown where I had to go for a deposition. The only change was maybe a slight representation of 1% minorities over all. It was weird, because Fresno is only 40% white/non-Hispanic, plus a whole lot of HIspanic, Asian, Arab, and black. I guess you get used to something and everything else seems weird. NTTAWWT.

It's Des Moines, what the hell did you expect..you should come to rochester, theres some somalians, but otherwise, it's pretty friggin white...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lived in Missouri for many years, and even it was far more diverse. Plus, I guess I'd forgotten a bit, having been here for a while.

Now, they do have diversity -- tall people, short people, old, young, redheads, blondes, brunettes, Germans, Dutch, Scandanavians, English, French (descent)...

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
It's like that in Maine, too. Especially above Portland. And they're even whiter because of the climate. I swear they're vampires.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Used to be whiteyville here (Reno/Carson City). Now it's getting to be a mix of people. Largely hispanic and white though. My bro just moved to Pocatello ID and feels as if he just stepped into the land of blond haired blued eyed Mormontown. It's been a shock to him.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
What crime did you commit to get sent to DesMoines? I bet they were fat as well. Yup...the midwest. Land of fat white Christian people and bad, greasy food. I do love an Iowa Pork Chop though--and can't beat the corn fed steaks--or the sweet corn for that matter.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Des Moines is full of Insurance Agents. And white.

Iowa City is more diverse, as is Ames. Waterloo has a sizable african american population.

Where I am it is white, and blonde. With 3% hmong and another 1-2% other non-whites. Coming here from Los Angeles I was struck by the whiteness. But Des Moines? Very American Gothic Insurance Salesman.

dr. (lived 2 blocks from a crack house in Des Moines in the 80's.) hoo

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
dr hoo said:
Des Moines is full of Insurance Agents. And white.

Iowa City is more diverse, as is Ames. Waterloo has a sizable african american population.

Where I am it is white, and blonde. With 3% hmong and another 1-2% other non-whites. Coming here from Los Angeles I was struck by the whiteness. But Des Moines? Very American Gothic Insurance Salesman.

dr. (lived 2 blocks from a crack house in Des Moines in the 80's.) hoo
kinda like Highlands Ranch in Denver (ducks) :D The biggest change I've noticed in rural Iowa since I lived there is that there is a much bigger hispanic population than there used to be--mainly due to employment of packing plants and temporary ag work.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Cmon, Doug....

If Im not mistaken you did your time over in Johnson County too, right? You should check out the Target Store over there on a saturday... its a lot different than if you checked in Lees Summit, or Independence... you know? The biggest minority over in Johnson County, Kansas is BY FAR is hispanics, largely because of the cleaning, and building jobs available over here.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, but

funknuggets said:
Cmon, Doug....

If Im not mistaken you did your time over in Johnson County too, right? You should check out the Target Store over there on a saturday... its a lot different than if you checked in Lees Summit, or Independence... you know? The biggest minority over in Johnson County, Kansas is BY FAR is hispanics, largely because of the cleaning, and building jobs available over here.
Yes, but drive through Wyandotte County or most of Jackson County (Kansas City), and a white person could feel in the minority. Plus, downtown and KCI were not nearly that lopsided, in my recollection. Des Moines was very different.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I do love an Iowa Pork Chop though--and can't beat the corn fed steaks--or the sweet corn for that matter.
Feedin' corn to a cow is a crime against nature! I'm all about grass fed cows myself. Now feedin' corn to humans, heavenly! :D

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
il sogno said:
Feedin' corn to a cow is a crime against nature! I'm all about grass fed cows myself. Now feedin' corn to humans, heavenly! :D
I assume that you are talking about cows like this?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Iowa corn fed beef. More fat, better marbling, more chance of being actual prime grade.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fuel?

il sogno said:
So how do you feel about putting it in cars?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts