Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quattrotom said:
Nice pictures - do tell more about the rib setup. I'm also a charcoal man, but sadly haven't done ribs yet. What is down by the coals on the right side of the grill - wood chips, which type?
I only have the small 18" Weber Kettle. The basic set up is:

1. Bottom vent about 1/2 way open
2. Coals piled up on the right side for indirect cooking
3. Drip pan 1/2 filled with beer directly under the ribs
4. Ribs covered in rub in the rack
5. Top vent completely open directly over the ribs

I tried to keep the temperature around 225-250 for the entire cooking time. I played with the bottom vent air flow in the beginning and added a few pieces of charcoal later on to keep the temperature steady.

For the first 2 hours, I would add a handful of soaked wood chips every 30 mins directly on top of the coals. I used Stubbs brand chips from Lowes. I believe they are a mix of apple, hickory and oak. The meat will only take smoke for about 2 hours, any more and it will start to turn bitter. Total cooking time was around 5 hours.

Here's the website I got my ideas from http://www.thesmokering.com/HowTo/weberribs/default.jsp

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
axionn said:
Here are some shots from the Cumberland Valley of Pennsylvania between Mechanicsburg and Carlisle on the day before Easter.

What kind of flowers are those? The resemble bluebonnets but I don't think they are.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Pretty country, and would have loved the ribs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts