Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11,561 Posts
merckxman said:
Prior to last night's announcement it was 50-50 whether Cunego was going to ride in the TdF. He announced he would ride but not for general classification.

I went to Letour.fr and looked at the parcours. It would seem to me as everyone has been saying it is a route custom built for Ullrich. The climbers who can ride high in the GC are going to be severely disadvantaged. Guys like Simoni, Cunego, Rasmussen will be better off going for the KOM, which should basically come down to being in the probable day-long breaks on the couple of days with multiple big climbs.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Cycling4all.com has him listed but I don't know how firm that information is.
Gibo has said he will be riding for Millar and Marchante and try for a stage win at Alpe d'Huez.

That and the Joux-Plane (despite the downhill to the finish) are really the only stages for the climbers to have a shot, other than a long breakaway before the other shallow grade mountain finishes. Based on the Giro Cunego will lose more than 10 minutes in the TT's and 2 short steep climbs are not enough to gain back even a third of that.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
Alpe d'Huez.

That and the Joux-Plane (despite the downhill to the finish) are really the only stages for the climbers to have a shot, other than a long breakaway before the other shallow grade mountain finishes.

Yeah that sounds right to me. They climbed the Leukerbad the other day at such a pace that attacking was nearly pointless. It looks like that was somewhere in the area of a 5-6% climb.

Stage 10 the mountain top is 35k from the finish.
Stage 11 finish on the Peurto de Beret is 5.5% average and even looks like there may be a couple kms of flat after the summit before the finish.
Stage 15, Alp d'Huez will offer an oppurtunity for a climber.
Stage 16, Toussuire is long at 18km but only 6%.
Stage 17, Joux Plane at 8.5% but summit is 12k before finish. Guys like Ullrich and Basso would probably even concede time on Simoni, Savoldelli or Cunego on the descent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.