Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
Noël said:
Have you guys seen the latest from http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/giro06/?id=corones/gallery-corones ? If it rains that day, they may have to pull out the nobbies, if it's even an option.
Cyclingnews did a recon report on the Finestre last year before the race and reported it to be unrideable. The pictures were very similar. Come race day it appeared to be well manicured. I assume the same thing will happen this year, but who knows. If it's wet and unpaved there is always the possibility of a real mess (not to mention the trolls).

What a stage the Finestre/Sestriere turned out to be last year, though. One of the best days of racing I witnessed all year.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
RocketDog said:
Cyclingnews did a recon report on the Finestre last year before the race and reported it to be unrideable. The pictures were very similar. Come race day it appeared to be well manicured. I assume the same thing will happen this year, but who knows. If it's wet and unpaved there is always the possibility of a real mess (not to mention the trolls).

What a stage the Finestre/Sestriere turned out to be last year, though. One of the best days of racing I witnessed all year.

Yeah I saw those pictures of Cunego and Simoni doing the recon last year and it was a mess but the organization had it packed down pretty well for the Giro. It was good enough for Di Luca to use his Boras. Great stage to watch.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was reading in an Italian cycling mag last week that they'll be re-surfacing that section during the month of April; they said that they'll lay down new gravel, compact it, and spray some kind of sealant on top; probably end up like a chip-seal road. So don;t expect any wheel-eating potholes or anything. That said, 25% is a helluva grade; I think Cunego's right that anyone who dabs will have trouble getting back on the bike. CSC and Phonak will be loving their dual-sided Speedplays on that thing!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
I was reading in an Italian cycling mag last week that they'll be re-surfacing that section during the month of April; they said that they'll lay down new gravel, compact it, and spray some kind of sealant on top; probably end up like a chip-seal road. So don;t expect any wheel-eating potholes or anything. That said, 25% is a helluva grade; I think Cunego's right that anyone who dabs will have trouble getting back on the bike. CSC and Phonak will be loving their dual-sided Speedplays on that thing!
If your teammate can stay w/ you on the climb, then you got support to get back on the pedal. Will Cunego have good support? With such steep grade, I have a hard time seeing any contender having teammates by their side except for Disco. My prediction will be Disco taking the stage as Danelsion supports Falco, however, Falco will crack near the end and TD will take the stage. Just my wild wishes.

Dual side will be great but Speedplays struggles to perform well in dirt condition. From what I heard, one little pebble can be a hassle clipping in. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm Looker, Keo that is.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Noël said:
My prediction will be Disco taking the stage as Danelsion supports Falco, however, Falco will crack near the end and TD will take the stage. Just my wild wishes.
Dude, Plan de Corones is in stage 17. Is Danielson going to last that long? ;-)

Nothing to take from Danielson's talent, but being able to survive a 3-week Grand Tour requires special qualities, and luck, and he has been lacking both in the past.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Noël said:
If your teammate can stay w/ you on the climb, then you got support to get back on the pedal. Will Cunego have good support? With such steep grade, I have a hard time seeing any contender having teammates by their side except for Disco. My prediction will be Disco taking the stage as Danelsion supports Falco, however, Falco will crack near the end and TD will take the stage. Just my wild wishes.

Dual side will be great but Speedplays struggles to perform well in dirt condition. From what I heard, one little pebble can be a hassle clipping in. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm Looker, Keo that is.
I agree that a good climbing domestique will be crucial in this year's Giro, and not just on the Plan de Corones, but Tommy D will only be the second best mountain-goat domestique in this Giro. CSC has announced that Sastre will ride in support of Basso. I'd put my money on Sastre over TD in the last week of a grand tour. After all, Sastre came in third in last year's Vuelta, while Tommy D was eighth.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Stasera said:
I agree that a good climbing domestique will be crucial in this year's Giro, and not just on the Plan de Corones, but Tommy D will only be the second best mountain-goat domestique in this Giro. CSC has announced that Sastre will ride in support of Basso. I'd put my money on Sastre over TD in the last week of a grand tour. After all, Sastre came in third in last year's Vuelta, while Tommy D was eighth.
Like I said, "just my wild wish" but valid wish since TD has some experience w/ GT, the record on Mt. Evans, and mtn biking. I do believe luck will be on his side. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Stasera said:
After all, Sastre came in third in last year's Vuelta, while Tommy D was eighth.
Actually, Carlito Sastre was the runner-up at the 2005 Vuelta minus the allegedly EPO-fueled Heras, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ummmmm, didn't he finish the Vuelta last year?

orange_julius said:
Dude, Plan de Corones is in stage 17. Is Danielson going to last that long? ;-)

Nothing to take from Danielson's talent, but being able to survive a 3-week Grand Tour requires special qualities, and luck, and he has been lacking both in the past.

I believe he got 8th.

·
Registered
481 Posts
55x11 said:
Umm, I am pretty sure it was Menchov who lead for much of the race, no?
I'm not sure what the status of the offical ruling on Hears drug violation but here's result the day after the Vuelta was completed.

Pos. Dor. Name Nac. Team Time
1º 1 HERAS, Roberto ESP LSW 82:22:55
2º 171 MENCHOV, Denis RUS RAB a 4:36
3º 201 SASTRE, Carlos ESP CSC a 4:54
4º 21 MANCEBO, Francisco ESP IBA a 5:58
5º 45 GARCIA QUESADA, Carlos ESP ECV a 8:06
6º 49 PLAZA, Ruben ESP ECV a 11:36
7º 211 SEVILLA, Oscar ESP TMO a 13:22
8º 83 DANIELSON, Tom USA DSC a 16:38
9º 71 ARDILA, Mauricio COL DVL a 18:15
10º 165 MERCADO, Juan Miguel ESP QST a 18:31
11º 109 SANCHEZ, Samuel ESP EUS a 20:12

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.